My mother's heart is in great condition so why is she having trouble walking?

I still don't get it...or I guess I don't want to see it. My mother's heart is in great condition; her kidneys are fine; the orthopedist sees some sciatica and old back issues that go back to her early 20's, so why is she having trouble walking? Her knees seem to give out. Her weight has been the same for the past months......I"m so sad........Please, G-d, let her be OK. I am so sad.

15

Answers

Just FYI, this thread is 6 years old.

Yes, my cousin's ability to walk went straight down after her Vascular dementia started, but she was only 62. I suppose it was the strokes.

But, if your mom doesn't have dementia, I'd try to figure it out and make sure that it's not something treatable. But, she is 94 years old, right? I would think that her legs may have just worn out. I don't know of many people in their nineties who are still very mobile. I do know one, who is very alert and still drives, but, other than her, I don't know anyone with that advanced age who's legs are not very weak. Is this just not part of the aging process?

My mom went through the same symptoms two years before she passed. I really think it was part of her dementia.

Thank you, Rachel, for the update. Come back and let us know the outcome of all the medical appointments, too. We can learn a lot from each other!

Hugs and strength to you as you deal with this challenging issue.

I've learned so much here and gotten so much support. Thank you all. We're seeing another doctor this week and he'll look at her medications. She's also scheduled for an epidural, since the orthopedist said it's sciatic pain she's having. BUT he also suggested she see a neurologist. After read VSTEFANS post about walking ability being associated with certain types of dementia, I think that we should rush that appointment. I've noticed "some" changes in her reactions and comments, enough that I've started to get scared. Thank you all again.

My husband's knees gave out while walking, and his arms lost strength at the same time, making a walker useless at preventing falls. We did go to a wheelchair, which was at least safer. It turned out he was having narcoleptic type episodes that sometimes go along with his kind of dementia. With the right drug he no longer has the problem, no longer uses the wheelchair, and in fact bowls once a week! Do I think the people posted about here have narcoleptic episodes? Well, no, I doubt that very much. BUT the point is a medical professional should be consulted, preferably once who knows the patient's history, all medications, supplements, OTC products he or she is taking, and a detailed description of the episode of weakness. This is not just old age. We can't diagnose here, but an accurate diagnosis can make the difference between a wheelchair and bowling!

No but her mom was the same way almost to a tee,everything her mother had she has gotten herself. Sometimes I wonder about doctors. As we all know they now work for HMO’s or hospital’s and they have policy that hospital’s want doctors to follow.god help us all.,johnnycares

Has she had a recent illness, surgery or other trauma that has kept her in bed for a bit. Both of my parents (my father has passed now) develop weakness easily if they are laying around for a few days. Is she working with a physical therapist? A lot of time PT's will give the person "hints" on how to use equipment properly (she should have a walker) and easier ways to get up and down. Good luck - I know it makes everything harder when they aren't walking.

My wife doctor, always tell my wife that it is not the drugs but her breathing is so labor and she ran out of gas so fast. I can’t help but think it is the drugs. She has been seen by a heart and lung doctor and hasn’t been seen by him for a follow up. She to can not walk very well,I do have her use a walker. But something is causing her to have weak legs.

Thank you all for your advice. My mother is 89. She uses a walker, but pretty soon it's going to be a wheel chair at this rate. Her legs have given out twice, once resulting in a cut on her head. This JUST came on 4 - 6 weeks ago. She does take statins. Is it possible that after years of taking statins this could develop? She doesn't seem to be suffering any cognitive changes, just depression at the loss of my father 4 months ago and the fact that she can't do anything. Thank you for the reminder that loss of muscle strength severe enough to affect normal walking isn't a part of aging. Next step will be the neurologist. I'll also call the doctor about cutting back on the Lipitor. I don't know what I would do without you all.