This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
MsTtheDiva, I went to an "Elder Law Attorney" for my parents' to assign a Power of Attorney. It was 18 pages long. Example: If Mom owns a house, the address of the house needs to be spelled out in the POA. Even a section on power to employ and discharge personnel such as investment brokers, accountants, attorneys, caregivers, etc.

It depends if your Mom wants one person for Medical POA and someone else for financial POA, or one person for both. Also it is good to have a second and maybe third person assigned in case the first person is unable to proceed as POA.

I see from your profile that your Mom has Alzheimer's/dementia. Would your Mom be able to understand a legal document? If yes, great, then she can legally proceed with having one drawn up.

If Mom isn't very good with her thinking but there are times during the day where Mom is more with the here and now, set up an appt with an Elder Law Attorney during that time of day.

Unfortunately, if Mom's memory is off the charts, she would not be able to do a Power of Attorney.
Helpful Answer (2)

For our state we were able to print the forms from the internet. We took them to the bank and signed in front of a notary. Simple and easy
Helpful Answer (0)

You don't obtain POA. The person to be looked after appoints someone of his/her choice to hold POA. That person must be mentally well enough to understand the nature of powers of attorney and the consequences of granting it.

If you Google "creating powers of attorney in [name of your state/region]" you will find a site that has all the information you need to get the job started on your loved one's behalf. Beware sites that just take you to law firms or potentially dubious organisations promising to do this for you brilliantly and inexpensively. Go to the official governmental ones and see what the protocol is in your area.

For example, if you do that for New York, third result down on the list is "" so you click on that. The key thing to look for is ".gov" somewhere in the web address.
Helpful Answer (4)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter