Is it possible for the nursing home staff to delete the call log history to cover up the fact that they don't respond to residents' calls?

When the call light attached to the wall is not answered at all, we note the date and time of the calls. But when the nurse checks the log, she says no calls were made which is impossible since family sat and listened to the endless ring with no response. We have also learned that the alert medallions worn around the neck just flash and send the call to an iPad in the staff's pocket, but the nurse suggested staff "forget" to turn the iPad on, so they sit through the night without calls. I want to know how easy it is for staff to erase calls rather than respond to them as we monitor closely and calls are not being answered.

22

Answers

1 2 3
Keep good notes on everything and take lots of pictures of anything that seems of the ordinary. Check your loved one - head (yes, check the scalp) to toe - including the private areas - for skin issues/neglect/abuse - and take photos. NH and SNFs are the worst - they lie and will manipulate staff notes - to their advantage and conveniently forget to write something down when it's not in their favor. I learned the realities of - all types of care - when I was going in and out of the healthcare system with my father. There is a thread of evil in all areas of our healthcare system. No joke. Because of what happened to my father, my mother will never go into a NH. People think I'm a martyr for the elderly...Um...no...it's just that I'm terrified of what may happen if I put her in a home - based on what actually happened to my father!

I urge everyone who has a loved one in a nursing home, or assisted living for that matter, to perform random visits and keep very good written records. I even stayed overnight in my Moms room, although not often enough. People would be surprised at what happens during the night shift - even in a NH that seems ok during the day. And if there are problems report them immediately to the shift supervisor and head of nursing. If problems continue report them to the Ombudsman. While we went to the NH staff when my mother was repeatedly left without oxygen we did not go to the Ombudsman until after my mother died. Only to be told that they could not investigate because they had to witness the abuse first hand. While I question that they would have happened to witness the mistakes first hand perhaps something more could have been done. I will forever regret that I didn't tell my job to go to h*ll and spent more effort protecting my mother.

No offense but me personally is not a caregiver. I have no patience and don't deal well with a situation at the time it happens. After I think about it, then I realize how I could have handled it better. Mom is in an assisted living and it's not perfect. The aid had to change Mom's bed. I had a full set of sheets in the closet and an extra bottom sheet. She put on the extra bottom sheet but no top sheet just the blanket. She couldn't have used the full set or at least the top sheet from the set? This is the stuff that gets me. Next week Mom be is transferring to long-term care. No I am not happy about it but the money is almost gone and I can't physically take care of her. So, I will there almost every day to make sure Mom is clean and we'll taken care of.

I would just like to say, it's hard and overwhelming sometimes having to care for a parent that has dementia. They curse and swear at you, though you're doing everything in your power keeping them safe and healthy. No one really has the correct answer but it's up to us to provide and give back to them. I love this opportunity taking care of Mother. Must I say, she's a piece of work. Talking to herself, humming at 2 am and so much more!! To give her to a nursing home out of the question! Those workers are sometimes there just for a pay check. It's no way nobody didn't smell the urine or poop on that lady....it's crap! If you love your parent be patient and pray for strength because as I stated it's not easy. I don't trust anyone that has given excuses as to why it happened!!!! I'm sorry if I have offended anybody, the truth is what it is.

LadyMiller you are a Rock Star! Your Mum is so very fortunate to have you. As an RN who has now seen my beloved father-in-law, a very good friend as well as many patients in dementia care facilities over the years, you are the antithesis of the family who dumps the parent and is never seen again, which unfortunately happens far too often with this horrific disease.
As for the staff that are neglectful or downright abusive, they of course know that someone with dementia can never expose them. It is sad when you realise what some people are capable of doing to fellow human beings. I would not wish dementia on anyone but there is a special place somewhere for people who would prey on some of the most vulnerable in our society.
As for the lump on the neck, while you did not say what the hospital stay was for, it is interesting that it was never picked up on there. It is not surprising, given that during her 9 days at the NH your mum was never bathed or changed, nothing was noticed and reported.
I am glad you have your Mum with you now. As difficult as I imagine it may be, the peace of mind must be cathartic after all you went through.
I wish you health and wellness. I hope you have a support system built into your life so that you can maintain a balance, which is vitally important in getting healthy and staying that way.
Remember always to take gentle loving care of yourself. Only in doing so will you have anything to give your Mum.
With peace, gratitude and grace

They can pull some slick moves for sure. My mother suffered a stroke in an NH less than 48 hrs after they told her she was TOO WELL to stay there. Yes, say what?!

About the call button. I would think that there is a log that the computer generates that can't be fooled with. I guess when u say nurse you mean an RN who is in charge of the Lpns and CNAs. If these employees have anything that alerts them from a resident then they should be left on and the RN should make sure it's done. Is this nurse ur boss. If not go to ur boss and tell him/her ur concerns. No, won't make you popular with the staff but the caste of the residents is important. This facility could be sued for neglect.

So sorry for your experiences. I just can't imagine. Just think of those people with no families. My complaints are small compared to yours.

I was an Ombudsman in Naperville, IL for 8 years. My husband retired and we moved here to Las Vegas, NV. I went through the exact training here that I received in IL, then started doing the same job here. After less than one year, I was fired because my boss said I made the staff at the nursing home "uncomfortable." I just hoped that all the wonderful residents that I had met at the NH didn't think I quit because I didn't care about them. I have read so many posts in AgingCare about nursing home abuses that it makes me scared to death about anyone's future.

I know for a fact, depending on the system, it is possible to see the history of call bells and responses. Also, I am sure this data can be "accidentally" lost or deleted.

1 2 3