How do you get elder up to pee in the bathroom instead of sitting and going in their diaper?

This drives me crazy!!! I think most of the time she does not have an accident -- she just doesn't want to get up from watching TV because she has on a diaper. I feel like she is being lazy. Has anyone else experienced this?

20

Answers

Any chance of a tv in the bath rm?

Thanks Deb1129, wish I had known about these a few years ago..... and thanks, I learned something new today... hugs.

LadeeN, the onesies are good for people who will undress for no reason or handle the contents of their diaper, if incontinent. You can find adaptive clothing at sites like buckandbuck.

She's not doing it on purpose, but moving from sitting to standing increases the pressure on her bladder, and she can't stop the flow. Been there, done that. When I was recovering from knee replacement, I could never get to the potty in time. Diapers were the best I could do.

You don't say how old your mother is. I know that once we got Mom to wear Depends, she will NOT get up and walk to the bathroom to pee. We can barely get her there to do #2. She has dementia, and I think the signals from the brain that say she has to pee just don't register anymore. Also, it's painful for her to walk, so she'd rather not.

I get her up every two hours to go to the bathroom. That way if she does pee, she's not sitting in a wet diaper all day. I change her diaper every time we go in the bathroom, and she does use the toilet every time as well. She hates having to make the walk, but I don't want her getting a rash.

As for overnight, we found some new diapers, ABENA Abri-San brand, that we buy from Amazon. They are super absorbent and very soft and comfortable against her skin. She LOVES them! One of these diapers will last her all night long, which is a relief from her waking me up to take her to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Please don't sweat the little stuff like this. As long as she wears her diapers, just let it go.

sahk1942,
I soooo understand. It's not only about the "mechanical side" of cleanup etc.
It's also about the way it makes you feel because she doesn't seem to care what she's putting you through. I have the same feelings.
I try to remember that I've never met anyone with character that hasn't suffered a good bit to get there... and that my frustration is working patience side in my own character............still needs work lol !

Depends can be covered by Medicare. You should check into this. You would need a doctor's order and then you could submit it to insurance. There are also protective cloth or disposable pads that she could sit on that would protect the furniture....

Thank you for each and every one of your answers. I always find such helpful information on this site.

She has stroke-related dementia, but not Alzheimer's dementia. The portable toilet is a great idea -- that could solve a big part of the problem.

I get stressed out for many reasons when she urinates in her "protective underwear" because her urine smells soooooo intense, to the point where her underwear has to be changed asap or it will smell up an entire room, or if we are out in public, it will create a strong smell where people would obviously notice. (I think the smell is from her meds.)

Another reason I get stressed is because it can be so much pee all at once, that it floods her Depend and makes a mess on her pants, and anywhere else she may be sitting such as a fabric sofa, leather car seat, etc, etc, etc. She has ruined so many pieces of furniture.

Lastly, I get stressed out because Depends aren't cheap! Going through 5-7 a day adds up fast! If she could get up an make an effort to go to the bathroom, that would at least help my feelings that she is trying. But she doesn't -- she will just sit all day unless I ask her to go to the bathroom. The lack of initiative is what drives me crazy -- she has all the initiative in the world when it comes to getting up to eat, or turn on the t.v., but not going to the toilet. It makes my life so much more difficult when I have to spend hours trying to deep clean furniture, clean extra soiled laundry, purchase more and more Depends, etc.

This is a tough one...has she been to the doctor to be sure there is no bladder or urinary tract infection or bowel problem? I would start there. Also, the idea of a portable toilet is a great idea and taking her every hour is also good. During commercials is a good idea; has she been diagnosed with dementia or Alz.? You could also start using suppositories to eliminate the need to go often - that is not the best remedy. Perhaps if she gets the idea that her TV time will be interrupted it might just make her connect that, "If I want to watch my TV show, I'd better go when they take me." There is also the possibility of rashes and sores on her bottom that could cause her problems. God bless you for being there and taking care of her. Hugs.

Well reading some if the answers of our loved ones not knowing where to urinate or have a bm, and they can't find the toilet...the bodysuits go in under clothing, helping to keep clothing on until the caregiver can guide them. I have used these on my daughter, they really helped