maryba Asked October 2013

How to control urinating accidents?

My husband has trouble walking and gets into the bathroom in time to pee all over the floor and his clothes. He wears jeans with a belt and will not use a pad. Lots of clothes, rugs and towels to wash. I have asked him to try sweats that don't take so much time to unbutton and unzip. He refuses and says he will try harder not to spill. I hid his jeans yesterday and he is angry. What else can I do?

17

Answers

01Guardian Sep 2014
Medication side effects are the number one reason for the frequent urination. It also is the easiest way to help out a little too. Talk to your doctor about them. I suggest looking up all medications and vitamins yourself. Take some notes and questions for your doctor. That will help you not to forget yourself. We all have so much more on our mind then just urination if we are this far along. It is a long hard road especially if you are doing this at home. Depends are great but don't count out the off brand sometimes they are just as good. Your doctor could save you money and time by adjusting his or her medicine. Focus on a schedule and having them sit to urinate helps. Sometimes you might need to get some attachments for your toilet as well. It is hard at first to get them to sit but if you are diligent they will get with the program. If you read anything about Dementia or Alzheimer's schedules are everything. One thing I did learn that I would not have thought of is don't clean urine with bleach products it mixes with urine and creates ammonia (not safe to breath). Lysol only in my house. I wish us all the best and remember this starts with the care giver take care of yourself so you can take care of them.

Marialake Nov 2013
I meant threshold

Marialake Nov 2013
My MIL (Alzheimers) is now unable to make it to the toilet. She suddenly stands up and says......I have to pee. Then it pours out. I keep 2 depends on her at all times but nothing will absorb it all. I try to get her on the pot often but still............. This appears to be another Alzheimer hreshold that she has crossed. I keep a disposable pad under her feet which she constantly kicks away lol

tooyoung Nov 2013
Realized a day later that my post about "Texas condoms" wasn't very clear and some might think they were for something else. So to clarify, they are used for urine collection. The friend that used them for her husband, who had Parkinson and dementia, used them at home after trying everything, even doubling up pads. She swore they saved her a ton of work.

tooyoung Nov 2013
A friend of mine swore by "Texas condoms." Don't laugh! That's what they call them. We're not there yet, so have no personal experience. But if you look it up on the internet, a bunch of medical supply websites come up. Look up "how to use texas condom" and there are youtube videos. Technically it is an external catheter, but it is quick explanation is a large condom attached by tape or a strap.

jade1950 Nov 2013
My Dad has the same problem. Since he won't remember to sit, I have taped the toilet seat down. He is now forced to sit!

CVS and Walmart have mens jockey depends that look real. Sit him down when he is calm and in a good mood and explain to him that he sometimes has accidents and youre worried about your rug and furniture. Try to reason with him with "I love You's" and "Please for me's" You may have to threaten him nicely with he cant stay if he doesnt. Good luck, I went thru it with my Mom too I put a diaper on her with lots of arguing and then put on unstrippable clothing she couldnt get off at night. They sell stuff on buck and buck dot com online, or make them yourself. You can also use suspenders with a shirt over them, too hard to get off in time and they wet the diaper. Tena is the best I have used for diapers on amazon or walmart, or their tena or poise pads,

Whitney Nov 2013
Plants can sometimes absorb odors, and they look nice as well. Sometimes, my mother wears two Depends. In addition, there are advantages to not having new things in the home, such as carpets, sheets, etc., for mishaps, as it doesn't matter as much if they get stained.

johnko Nov 2013
It's important to talk with your physician about managing incontinence to determine the best plan. There are many options that need to be discussed including behavioral therapy, diet modification, medication, surgery, and incontinence products. Unfortunately, many rush to incontinence products as the solution without weighing all the other factors first. If he needs an incontinence product, it needs to be the right product, in the right size, and rightly applied, otherwise he will have problems.

marksburg Nov 2013
Yes, yes!! the urinals, that are also used in hospitals. That is something I forgot to mention in my earlier note: I had one next to his chair, one next to the bed and one in the bathroom. Thanks, blannie, for mentioning them - I don't know how I could have managed the problem without them.