This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I've lifted this straight from a website called "law-dot-freeadvice-dot-com" - hope it gives you some pointers.


Where to Turn For Help for Power of Attorney Abuse

If you are dealing with power of attorney abuse, there are a few key places to turn for help:

State Safety and Welfare Services:
There are crisis hotlines, usually in the Blue Pages of a phone directory, for reporting suspected abuse against vulnerable groups. Because a POA is usually designed to protect someone in one of these groups, this is the place to report initial suspicions. If there is no local service listed, contact your state's Attorney General, who will either have their own abuse unit or be able to direct you to a local county investigator.
In addition to classic financial abuse, power of attorney abuse situations bear similarity to identity theft issues. It is not legal to go beyond the four corners of a power of attorney, but classic abusers feel emboldened to ignore restraints within the document...often boldly ignoring the natural expiration of a power of attorney and treating it as if it is a durable power of attorney. In doing so, many local business crimes units, in local or state police forces have specially trained officers to investigate allegations of wrong doing.

Mandated Reporters
People who financially control their power of attorney abuse victims may try to isolate or disparage what the victims are saying. Encouraging a victim to rebuild social networks — especially if you are not a family member---may be part of saving that person. Also, by encouraging shut-in victims of power of attorney abuse to get out, it increases the likelihood of contact with a myriad of those who can help put a stop to abuses. Social workers, clinicians, physicians, counselors all have special duties to report suspected abuse of the vulnerable and can help spot and deal with a power of attorney abuse situation.

Your Own Attorney
If you suspect abuse by a family member acting under the shield of a power of attorney, immediately contact your own attorney to address legal options.

Helpful Answer (0)

Can you be more specific as to what powers are being abused, and what POAs he holds? Health, financial, both?

If there is concern about abuse that results in financial and/or physical harm, you could seek guardianship over her person and estate. The POA could be rendered not in force by the court, and would result in the court being involved for future decisions.

Please come back and let us know what is going on with your grandmother's situation. There are many people here with experience and can step in with more/better advice tailored to your situation.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter