My aunt is suffering from dementia. Are there any options for POA?


I am looking to become her POA I care for her medical needs and living. But it’s difficult to manage some of her finances without a POA. She has no children and is not married. Her condition is daily declining. Are there any options?

Find Care & Housing


Can your aunt understand the concept of appointing someone to make decisions on her behalf? If she still can, she can sign a form appointing you.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to jeannegibbs

From what I’ve read on this site, your aunt would need to be of sound mind to sign POA papers for you. If it could be proven that she was not, it would void the POA. You may have to apply for guardianship. In order to make sure everything is done legally, it might be a good idea to to consult an Elder Law Attorney.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to Ahmijoy