Medicaid terminated and we didn’t receive any type of notification. Any advice?


My Mama turned 50 at the beginning of the year and she has multiple health conditions, severe back and neck pain, diabetes, congestive heart failure, neuropathy, migraines, etc. Her back and neck pain resulting from a car accident in 2005. My Daddy started drawing his social security at the beginning of this year, in January I believe. Her Medicaid was terminated on January 31, 2018. We didn’t receive any type of notification that it was terminated, until we went to pick up her medications from the pharmacy and her Medicaid wasn’t active. We then called and questioned it, but they said we were like $100-$200 over the income limit, due to my Daddy drawing his social security. She has been going to her pain specialist once a month as well as going to her primary care physician once every two months. Her medications are Norco and Gabapentin, on top of her medications for diabetes and migraines. Therefore, it is extremely expensive to pay out of pocket to see her doctors and pay for her medications. My parents are also in an estranged marriage, so the little money he gets is used to pay bills. She is disabled and also has a pending rotator cuff surgery, back surgery and neck surgery. Whenever she had Medicaid the bills that Medicaid were paying were extremely high, and we just can’t afford to pay out of pocket, for everything. I am very concerned and don’t really know what the best thing to do is. She is trying to stretch the medications she has as far as she can now, so we are trying to figure something out !! I try my best to help out with some of her medical stuff. Can anyone give me any advice ??

Find Care & Housing


I also just had this happen. When I went to Walgreen's to pick up an $1,800 Narcolepsy med, my Medicaid co., Meridian Health Plan, had approved the pre-auth. When pharmacy tried to bill them, suddenly I also didn't have Medicaid coverage. No letter, warning, nothing. Been trying to fix for several weeks.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to asylum23

the net effect ?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to mackenzie8

If they are estranged, would divorce by an option? Anybody know how this might work?
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to rovana

Contact the Center of Healthcare Rights, if you have one in your area.

Make an appearance to DPSS (Department of Public Social Services, ask what happened, ask f o r the written notification (a copy), and file an appeal.

Make an appearance at Social Security Offices, ask them what happened. Get it in writing.

Contact Medicare, same.

There is little coordination between agencies, but they are required by law to send you notification. So, double check your Mom's address with all agencies, STAT.

What was the net effect on your Dad's health care coverage?
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Sendhelp