How to get doctors, visiting nurses and facilities to work together to not have so many appointments? I fear I am going to lose my job!

I am having to take so much time off of work because the Doctor makes me bring my Mother in to the office for something as simple as a blood test result...she also has a visiting nurse come in but some facilities choose not to "work" with them which requires separate appointments...I am at the least having to take her to an appointment 2 to 3 times a week....can you point me in the direction where I can get assistance in getting these place to work together?...

35

Answers

1 2 3 4
All my doctors -- and my parents-- doctors have an online patient portal where results are posted with secure ID/PW logins. My father is 84 and knows how to login! Doctors even post comments if needed, patients can ask questions too. Perhaps find a more progressive practice?

I had looked into a discount program to help with copay, there wasnt one through company. Xerelto had a program for a 40 copay for 6 months.

I was hoping their price had come down. I heard that Pradaxa had a high copay. I have a very poor friend who takes Eliquis. He probably receives some extra assistance to help pay for it since he has lived for years on a small disability check.

Jessie, the problem with eliquis is there is no generic and if she is on a fixed income and on medicare and one of the michigan supplemental insurances, the copay is 157 and some change. Coumadin is a 3 dollar copay.

Another consideration is why not try another blood thinner that does not require the testing. Would Pradaxa or Eliquis not be good?

INR=International Normalized Ratio

Snewman: Is your mom able to relay the INR # to you or her doctor? That's all they're looking for so they can adjust the Coumadin dose. Then the new med, if needed, could mailed to her.

The overarching question here is "how much medical oversight does your parent need?". When your parent is at the point that they need more oversight than any one person can provide, it's an indication that they need a higher level of care.

My mom, living "independently" needed to be seen by PCP, Cardiology, Neurology, ophthalmology, etc. We consolidated. Mom went to Independent Living, where geriatrician managed all but the psych meds. On site geriatric psychiatrist managed those.

You may not need a visiting nurse. If u find this true, then tell him they r not needed anymore. If the clinic doesn't except VN draw, stop the VN from drawing.

What doctor does the VN send their info to. These facilities work off of orders from a doctor. Meaning he has to give the order for blood draw. That draw goes to a lab and doctor gets results. When u mean clinic, is that where her primary is? Did the VN tell you that u needto keep them informed about doctor appts? They cannot bill Medicare if ur Mother goes to another doctor the same day of their visit. You may not need a VN if what they do is being taken care of somewhere else. Check her Medicare and supplimental statements. Something may not be being paid because tests are being duplicated. Is ur Mom in an AL or nursing home? Facilities have nurses on staff that can check vitals. You may want to make an appt with Moms primary. Explain what is going on. I agree, results can be given by phone. Appts are just ways for doctors to bill Medicare. When I took over Moms bill paying I found she was going to her primary every 2 months. I asked why, answer was "he wants me to come back". When I took her the first time he asked why she was there. You told her! One of the nurses was a friend and said there really wasn't a reason for the every two months. Ask questions, why does she need to come back. Medicine changes can be made by phone. If ur Mom is on Medicaid, I think someone is taking advantage.

1 2 3 4