How long does Stage 7 of Alzheimer's last?

I know this is a long out there question..but my mom is in stage 7..she cannot feed herself cannot walk..cannot care on a full conversation..there are using a hoyer on her she loss control of bowels and all..does stage 7 know to last as long as the other stages..i heard 1-6 years..just curious..

26

Answers

1 2 3
This is a question that my wife have been asking and I will share our experience with you.

My mother-in-law has been suffering for about 10 years and has lived with us for the last three years and passed away recently. The first answer that I've learned is that the end usually comes as a result of a complication (broken hip, infection, pneumonia).

My mother-in-law started wondering about a year ago and got very unsteady about 4 months ago, commonly just collapsing as she stood or was walking. Two months ago she wondered into the front yard, got to the driveway, collapsed and broke her hip. She then went into the hospital and had hip surgery and the anesthesia dramatically increased her dementia. She was transported to a skilled nursing facility and hospice was brought in to help us manage the process. They put her on pain meds to keep her comfortable. After the hospital, she was 99% non-communicative. She didn't eat anything substantially for about 45 days and ultimately wasn't able to take any fluids. After 5 days she passed.

My understanding is that this is a very common scenario with dementia and just thought that I'd share. Good luck to you.
Reply to Doogle34

Josephine, Bless your heart! Sending many hugs your way! I am so sorry for the both of you. Dementia is so very, very cruel! I thought watching loved ones die from cancer was the worst, but I was so wrong! God bless you both & give you the strength & peace to keep going forward in faith.
Reply to Longears

Oh Josephine, I am very sorry and feel awful for both of you. He's SO young, it's just not fair. I can imagine your heart is breaking. May God give you comfort.

For both your sakes, I hope the Good Lord is merciful and brings your husband home to Heaven to rest and be well again.
I will include you both in our prayers at night. Hold on to God for strength.
Reply to SueC1957

Josephine, I'm so sorry.
Reply to SnoopyLove

Hello All
Only just joined in. Been with my beloved 66 year old husband for several hours today. I'm with him most days. He's in a Care Home. He's in Stage 7 - diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimers in 2010 aged 58. He choked badly yesterday and today carers and me in tears as we thought he was entering his 'end of life' phase as hadn't eaten or drunk for 24 hours. What happens next : he perks up, accepts his supper (puréed), drinks his thickened juice, tries to sing along to Classic FM, answers no when I ask if he's ever sung that song and smiles at me!! He's VERY thin, bedridden (5 months now), doubly incontinent, hardly speaks, pulls at his bedding constantly but continues to love his classical music, and seems to know me in and out of his staring into space. I can't believe this terrible state of affairs can go on for much longer, and the above posts fill me with dread - another few years? Please no, for his sake. I weep constantly as he was a vibrant classical singer and Home Office Civil Servant, and our retirement has been stolen from us. The cruelty of dementia. I feel for you all. Truly I do. With love to all who suffer.
Josephine xxx
Reply to Josephinepage
Catsmima Sep 12, 2018
Our situations are so similar ! My Ex was also diagnosed at 58 - now 68!
I became involved when he was a Stage 4 at age 65. Three years later he is now a Late Stage - 7B.
Although he has not been able to do anything for himself for a year now; he could walk. Broken hip in June of this year and surgery has taken that away . I care for him in my home and last month placed on Hospice. He sleeps 18-20 hours; but when up he sits in his chair and hums.....being non verbal ..... no words, but hums.
No words can describe how horrible this disease is ......
being classified as a “ stair stepper “, I check on him throughout the night and fear finding he has passed.
He does not gradually go from Stage to Stage ( 4 Stages in 4 years), but rather goes to sleep one person and wakes up another.
My heart goes out to you and pray for you to have strength as you go through this journey with your husband.
Catsmima
(1)
Mother has vascular dementia, but I have read that the final stages of the dementias are similar. She was put on "comfort care" (basically hospice - we are in Canada) about a year ago. She is immobile, (needs a wheelchair and Hoyer lift) and only says a few words, but recognises family. She still enjoys food, is fed pureed foods, and hasn't lost any weight, nor does she get infections. Her colouring is great - pink cheeks! She is 105, coming up 106 in May, and could live like this for some time yet, I think. She sleeps in the afternoons and through the night. We moved her to an NH in October (from an ALF) and they do a great job of caring for her, and trying to engage her in activities, like attending a sing song, but she is not much interested. At times, she says she is in pain, (muscles and joints, I believe) so I have authorized them upping the doses of painkillers as needed. She has been ready to go since she reached 100, but her body isn't ready. There is not much quality of life at this stage.
Reply to golden23

I posted here 8 months ago. My mom is still with us. She can still chew and swallow but sometimes needs to be prompted to swallow. She can not sit up. She does say a coherent word or phrase occasionally. She is sleeping more. Her weight is down to 75 lbs. She smiles occasionally but they are getting fewer and farther between. Mom has great skin, no break down, but we work hard to maintain that. She has been on hospice for over 11 months. It is nice to have the CNA to help with bathing twice a week and the nurse comes once a week to check her vitals and lungs. Her lungs stay clear. I had the flu twice, she never got it. The hospice Dr will come next week to requalify her. She is just not ready to leave this Earth I guess... So we will just keep loving her.
Reply to Grammyteacher

Idahogirl, I am in the midst of all you have described with my dad. He has been in an Alzheimer’s care facility for 2 yrs, ever since loosing ability to walk. He now is bedridden and struggles to eat having lost over 60 lbs from time of admission. I am doing exactly what you advise and visit/feed him most every day at dinner time. Some days he knows me and other days only stares, but I am still content to be with him. When I am overwhelmed I think about the day he is gone and know I will have no regrets as I have done all I could. I’m trusting God for strength and to be with him all the way “home”!💗
Reply to Mddaddysgirl

Thanks for all your comment..yep it is hard to watch this..and I am the only daughter that is helping..but everybody’s words help me a lot and for that thank you..my mom is now lossing weight loss 13 pounds in 2 mths..at times when you give her a bite of food you have to tell her to sallow..thanks again..
Reply to motherof5

There is also an issue which can exacerbate their survival time in the 7th stage, though likely it developed in earlier stages. It is called Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH). This is a good explanation (https://www.alz.org/dementia/normal-pressure-hydrocephalus-nph.asp). My friend's mom has this, and as it gets worse, so does the symptoms of Alzheimer's progression. As the CS fluid builds up in the ventricles, they walk with a leaning gait to the left or right. It is doubly tough when they have both NPH and AZ, though it takes an MRI, and a neurologist to diagnose. The seventh stage COULD be shortened when this dual diagnosis occurs, as NPH puts pressure on the brain, though I have not found any article which gives a timeline. My point is that many people assume their LO's have dementia, when NPH could be the culprit. It takes an MRI to determine one, the other, or both. If both, then as NPH increases, the stages of A-F may progress more rapidly than routine article say.
Reply to MySedona

1 2 3