How do we keep mom warm in the summer when everyone else is sweating?

Do we add another blanket if she asks even though it is warm and we can sees signs that she is perspiring? One time in the summer the EMTs came cause of this which caused her BP to rise. They immediatley insisted she let the aide put on the wall ac and they removed some blankets, etc. Her BP came down and the sweating stopped. They warned her this can cause a stroke so she stopped for awhile but is doing this again. it is causing a lot of stress for her live in aide who is afraid she will overheat. We see her doctor in a couple of weeks and discuss it more. Are there any blankets that would give her comfort but let her breathe in the summer ? Any other ideas?

17

Answers

Anemia can cause coldness. My MIL was visiting NYC in the summer. It was about 90° and raining and she complained about being cold.
Reply to InMyShoes

Make sure she gets good fats, dairy fat, red meat, bacon, fatty fish, that helps our bodies warm themselves.

caregivingstuff: Is your mother taking the blood thinner medication, Coumadin? If so, that may be why she is cold. My late mother was always a "hot-blooded person," but at the end of her life when I moved in with her from out of state, I saw my mother wearing a jacket. That was a very atypical for her, but she was on Coumadin shortly before her death when her cardiologist took her off it because her fall risk was greater than the benefit of the med.

Also, an elder may not be moving around a lot, thus making them cold.
Reply to Llamalover47

My mom has low thyroid and takes medication for it, but is still susceptible to feeling cold when others are very comfortable. Mostly, she doesn't like any air movement from a fan or breeze. Since she entered her 80s, she does like a room a feel degrees warmer than the rest of us. In summer I close the vent in her room so there's no direct air movement, allowing the room to be 5-6 degrees warmer than the hall and rooms on each side. I use light weight (cotton whenever possible) blankets and throws with a "holey" pattern to add some weight and warmth without too much warmth. A cotton blanket on the bed provides gives a cover with some weight and the material and holes in the pattern still allow a lot of heat to escape so my Mom doesn't overheat. Thinner cotton quilts work well too. A long sleeve cotton shirt to add over summer short shelves is comforting. I made a granny knot throw out of cotton yarn that she likes to use when sitting watching TV or reading.

Mom's hands often feel cooler but that doesn't bother her. I feel her forearm and upper body (slipping my hand under the neckline of her blouse) to check her "core" temperature. The forearm usually feels slightly cooler than my hand, but her upper body/shoulder area will be the same temperature as my palm.

One reason someone continues to feel cold even in a warm room and under adequate clothing/cover is dehydration. Maybe if your Mom continues to feel cold, you could try offering some hot/warm tea? or maybe she like coffee better?
Reply to TNtechie

I was on the same wavelength as Tluther. Thyroid can cause a person to be cold. So can neuropathy in the legs and feet. Mom wore socks all year long. For sitting around the house I got her the fuzzy ones with long tops. Her ankles got cold so I rolled the tops down. I know when my feet and arms are cold my whole body is.

You can also target key spots on her body for added warmth. Warmer socks and a lightweight circular scarf (they come in pretty colors and help accessorize) can cut down on drafts on her neck and cold feet. I also kept a small knit blanket sized for a baby stroller handy for placing on lap or around shoulders. This trio worked better allowing me to make subtle adjustments so mom didn't overheat or feel too cold. Also, be aware of air conditioning vents to make sure that nothing is blowing cold on her.
Reply to lynina2

Alot of the folks at the nursing home where winter jogging outfits all year . ( least the pants) . My mom talks about a camisole . She says it helps keep the cold out . Or light weight long underwear kinda layer . But you should monitor. fingerless gloves?
Reply to baskethill1

Lots and lots of good suggestions here...

Remember that immobile people who aren't getting any exercise are going to feel colder. And it's possible she has a circulation problem. Is she cold all over, or more so in her extremities?

Can you persuade her to do arm, ankle and foot exercises to get blood moving down into the extremities? My father used a small exercise bike that essentially is only the pedal portion of a bike. Its not a stationary bike, just the pedaling part. It can be used on the floor for feet, or on a table for arms.

Google hand and foot exercise portable bikes to see what they look like. They're about $15 in the nuisance catalogues, but you could probably get a better one at a DME supplier with a script from one of her doctors.

I would have suggested a fleece lined jacket and the fleece throws, but if EMS was concerned, I'm thinking that some monitoring would be required so that she doesn't overheat.

One option is to try, and I emphasize try, the space blankets. They look like aluminum foil but are supposed to provide enough heat to prevent freezing in the winter. I guess they were used on space flights, hence the name.

They're ugly as heck - imagine getting out a box of aluminum foil to keep you warm.

Another option is warm fluids, such as herbal tea (but research the various types of teas first and check with her doctor(s) to make sure there are no contraindications for use with any of her meds.

Has your mom been checked for thyroid imbalance? I know that likely it is her age, but a lot of my mom's coldness comes from her thyroid being low. She explains it like she feels cold "inside" and no amount of blankets will get her warm. I usually get her a hot drink and make her an appointment for a thyroid check.
Reply to Tluther

Cuddleduds worked for my grandmother.
Reply to Marcia7321