How do I get financial assistance for caring for my Mother that is legally blind and has dementia?

I have been taking care of my elderly mother that is legally blind and has dementia and would like to find some financial assistance for myself for my duties on caring for her..

27

Answers

1 2 3
Babalou: My brother is a lawyer who checked out the non-existent VA benefit.

Babalou: We already checked BEFORE ny mother deceased and she didn't meet the criteria.

Llamalover, there is a VA benefit called Aid and Attendence. You can go to VA website to see if your mother is eligible.

In my city there is a senior property tax deferral option, under which a senior homeowner reduces their property tax to about 10% of what is regularly owed....the remaining balance is not forgiven, but is deferred until the house is sold, or until a reverse mortgage is taken out (which is actually a form of selling the home, if you think about it ). I think mostly it is a good idea, if it keeps seniors in their homes and there is predicted to be enough future value in the home to pay back 20 years of taxes. That last bit is tricky -- most prop tax bills in my area are between 5-10,000 per year, and go up every year. So 20 years of that could be quite a bit. But values should go up too (we can only wish....).

LivingSouth: It all adds up (pardon the pun) to math.Pay now or pay later.

ramiller: VA pays for what? My father died in 1967 and there was only a death benefit payout to my mother, unless he had deceased while in action. He didn't. The death benefit was used to bury him.

freqflyer: You are right; there are all kinds of situations. One lady at church, who is only 63, is on a cane, close to 300 # and due to go blind, so says she. My career was early because I planned it that way. But I have started a fifth career. Just to let you know.

On the property tax bill that we receive, it states that the amount deducted from the bill will have to be paid by any family members who get the house. Since I would likely not be able to pay it back, we don't take the exemption - and the property tax bill went up $100 this year - while the value of the house went down!
Same thing with a reverse mortgage - which is why you read about the younger spouse being left without a home if they cannot repay the reverse mortgage when the older spouse dies.

Livingsouth, what do you mean pay back the taxes on an elderly exemption? I never heard of paying it back! My moms saved thousands every year for many years and only because she has a life estate on the house, we own the house now. Are you sure on that? What State? Holymoly I sure as heck hope thats not true!!!

Where I live there are homes, owned by elderly, which have already been on the market for seven years or more. My father considered a reverse, but I said that I could not pay the money back. My idea was for some of the money received to go to the caregiver, if they do not care about the home.

1 2 3