How do I go about getting a DNR? I have POA but have not taken it to get certified or issued by court.

Find Care & Housing
You may find that EMS will only accept a DNR from a doctor. Some have expiration dates. You may also need a do not intubate order as well. The home made versions will only work as living wills. Once resuscitated and at a hospital then family will become spokespersons. I used to be an EMT several years ago. We were told that unless the DNR was physically present, we had to do CPR.

You might get more information about this from a doctor or local ambulance company with a simple call. Remember that the document has to be with the patient. Consider if the person is away from home. The document must be with him.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to MACinCT

Your POA can be notarized at a UPS/mailing store as well as your bank for very little cost to you. This should be done immediately. It is not valid without it being notarized.

A DNR is listed as your loved one's wishes, signed by your loved one in front of a notary public in the form called an Advanced Health Care Directive (eg Living Will, Healthcare Power of Attorney). It is a legal document but does not provide treatment orders. If you're loved one is near end-of-life or end stage of their ailment, a Physician Order for Life-Sustaining Treatment (POLST) Form is recommended. This is called different things in different states (e.g., MOLST, MOST, POST— ) but, regardless of the term, a POLST form is a medical order for the specific medical treatments you want during a medical emergency. POLST forms are appropriate for individuals with a serious illness or advanced frailty near the end-of-life and does NOT require notarization. They work with an AHCD. The POLST is signed commonly by their primary care physician which is posted on your fridge, printed on bright green paper. Hospice and EMTs will look for it but without it (the POLST), they will resuscitate even with a notarized Advanced Healthcare Directive.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to InnerFlowerChld

Your bank probably has someone who can certify your POA, for free. Ours do it as a service for clients. Ask your Dr for a copy of a dnr, they have them and can help you fill it out. And then they also have it on file for you. If the DNr is for a family member, same process, but they have to be willing to sign it.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to pamzimmrrt

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter