my granddaughter has power of attorney over my daughter who is in a coma for two weeks and is not brain dead. But my granddaughter has power of attorney, and wants to pull the plug on her mother in two weeks. How can i get power of attorney?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
First, I would talk to the doctor, to make sure you understand the situation, and to make sure the doctor knows that the family has MAJOR concerns about this.

Talk to the social worker at the hospital. She can give you a lot of information about how this process works, and where you should turn. Let the hospital know that if they permit this, they will face a law suit. That should slow things down considerably.

If you already know an Elder Law or Medical Law attorney, that would be your next stop.

What is your daughter's medical condition? How long has she been in a coma? If she is suffering from late stage terminal cancer or heart disease, your granddaughter may be correct that it would be kindest to let her go. On the other hand, if the doctors feel that she is likely to regain consciousness and enjoy life again, of course she should be observed and allowed to recover.

In any case, I am so sorry for this situation. It is heartbreaking to see a child so ill, and horrifying to fear that she will be allowed to die before her time.
Helpful Answer (0)

My heart goes out to you. What a difficult situation!

Power of attorney can only be granted directly by the person it applies to. Since your daughter cannot now make her wishes known she can't make you her POA. There may be other legal steps open to you. Consult an attorney as soon as possible to determine what your options are.

It sounds like you would make different decisions than your granddaughter is making. That must be very painful for you. Apparently at one point your daughter made a clear decision about who she would want making medical decisions for her if she could not make them, and put this decision in writing.

I hope you can resolve this without destroying your relationship with your granddaughter.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter