How can I get paid to care for my aging parent?


We are moving my mother in law in to our home. I will be staying home to care for her, taking her to her appointments, etc. I heard the government will subsidise for elder care. Where do you apply for this?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


What state do you live in? People have posted that CA. offers some sort of small payment. But, generally, no. Unless, of course your MIL can pay you. Remember that it is a 24/7 job and you get no days off.

I wondered though, you might be trained in elder care and know all of the pit falls, that could occur.

I hope your husband's job covers your health insurance and he has a pension, if you are no longer paying into Soc. Sec. I found many books on caring for the aged that helped me understand them.
Helpful Answer (1)

Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to keep or look for a full-time job.

Check to see if your parent could qualify for Medicaid…. each State has different income/eligibility requirements the parent must meet. If your State has such a program to pay a grown child to care for a parent, you might feel your parent needs 12 hours of care, the program might decide only 5 hours. And you may need to take some health care courses to qualify. Plus there is a question as to if the State will pay a relative if he/she lives full-time with the parent.

Check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for an Aide to come to the house for a couple of hours. Caregiver burnout comes quickly, sad to say in a matter of months for some.
Helpful Answer (1)

Use the search site in the upper right hand corner and type in getting paid to care for a parent. That will send you to various articles on this topic that will give you the information that you are looking for.

I just read over your profile and must ask. Do you already have your mother living in your home now and she has Alzheimer's? And your posted question here sounds like you are about to bring your mother in law into your home for you to look after as well. That is a lot of mothers under one roof! Do you have a plan for what to do when her Alzheimer's gets beyond what one person can handle?

What are your mother in law's health issues? How old is she? What is your plan for when her needs for care become more than one person can bear?

Last, but not least and not stated as a concern, but I tend to ask these kind of questions because they are important? What plans do you have to take care of yourself and to nurture & care for your marriage which is really going to be put upon with a lot of pressure with mom and mother in law in the house?

Good luck!
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.