We recently relocated from California to Oregon and my mother (72, COPD, diabetes) lives with us. My husband works full-time and I am actively looking for work. I am very concerned about leaving her alone for more than a couple of hours though. I have serious personal safety concerns with her. Her breathing has gotten progressively worse, her balance is bad and her lack of focus is failing (ie: leaving the stove on). If there is any type of financial assistance, I may be able to take a part-time job and be home with her more often. Please advise. Thank you

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to look for a full-time job.

Check to see if your parent could qualify for Medicaid…. each State has different income/eligibility requirements the parent must meet. If your State has such a program to pay a grown child to care for a parent, you might feel your parent needs 12 hours of care, the program might decide only 5 hours. And you may need to take some health care courses to qualify. Plus there is a question as to if the State will pay a relative if he/she lives full-time with the parent.

Check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for an Aide to come to the house for a couple of hours. Caregiver burnout comes quickly, sad to say in a matter of months for some.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter