Has anybody heard the statistics on dementia/ Alzheimer's in our future? It's not good! Why is it running rampant?

23

Answers

1 2 3
I, like many others here, believe that we just know more about it now and that more people are living beyond where they would naturally have lived, even a decade ago. My FIL has Lewy Body Dementia. However, he had a heart attack 10 years ago. He ended up spending two months in the hospital, 6 bypasses and a replacement valve put in. The advancement of medicine helped him survive a health crisis that was not possible even 20 years ago. I cherish the last 10 years we've had with him and he had some really good times in those years. However, he is now suffering.
Like many other health maladies, I don't think any of them have gotten more prevalent, I think we just live longer and have greater access to statistics than we did when our parents were young.

My best guess: We are living longer, as others have said, though to what purpose I don't know. What's the point of prolonging life with daily loss of brain cells? Beats me. But that's a whole other topic.

Another suggestion is a change in expectations. It used to be that families expected a mental decline in the elderly. This was not seen as dementia so much as "senility," a normal expectation in old age. Grandma repeats herself. Grandpa imagines stuff. It's just "old age." Now, we get diagnoses of multiple manifestations of dementia. Maybe these diseases were always there but were called something else. I remember it wasn't until the 1970's that I'd ever even heard of Alzheimer's.

Let's not forget, the first wave of baby boomers are now seniors. I'm part of the first wave and am in my early 70's. And there were a lot of us born in the mid to late 1940's, after the military came home from World War II.

The problem is we r living longer. Life expententcy was 65 in the 60s. It's now late 70s but people are outliving their body's. I really think our bodies are only good till our 80s unless you took good care of them. So you see more Dementia/Alz. ADHD was considered being hyper at one time.

RaylinStephens - really interesting point on iodine.

Most common sources of iodine are through iodine salt - table salt like Morton’s - and seafood.

As we age it seems most people are advised to reduce or eliminate table salt due to things like high blood pressure and CHF. Then there’s the problem with seafood- mercury.

And yes, previous studies have linked low iodine to “intellectual deficiencies”.

This is an area that you just don’t hear much about. I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago but blew it off as I salt everything - I practically salt my salt. Hubby on the other hand has two separate heart conditions and has been told NO SALT! I think I’m definitely going to look into the option of supplements for him.

Thanks, RaylinStephens for bringing this up!

Because we are malnourished. We don't get even the "minimum daily requirements" of too many nutrients and minerals.

Back in the 1970's, they determined that Senile Dementia came from malnutrition. So, you stopped hearing Senile Dementia and they started with Alzheimer's.

There is an Iodine Deficiency that is becoming epidemic. Your multiple vitamins don't have all the minimum daily requirements. And, we're sterilizing our foods to the point of killing off anything nutritious. Add to this, "fast food."

After I started DH & I on Iodine, his cognition improved 99% - pardon the pun but it staggers my mind how one nutrient can affect everything. He's still 96 and fuzzy around the edges, but he knows who I am again, knows this is our home, knows where the bathroom is again and is even up and watching TV again! All this from meeting his Iodine needs. (mind you, this is not the iodine you apply to your boo-boo. it is food grade.)

Start "googling" for information - it's out there. If I could find it, anyone can find it.

I wonder if dementia/alzheimers is as rampant nowadays as well.. or if we just are more aware and label it differently.

My Dad's mother had dementia (mid 80's) and my Moms father had dementia (mid 80's). Both of their spouses died early (in their 60's). The difference with my grandparents dementia journey is that it was fairly quick. They both started showing signs of dementia, were kept at home as long as they could (probably about 1 year staying with different family members), then they went to a nursing home where they both passed within 2 years. So their whole dementia journey was 3 years or less.

In contrast, my Dad first sign of dementia was 6 years ago... he could live another 5 to ten years.. making his dementia journey around 15 years!

My parents only took care of their parents for a month or 2 in their home and share with other siblings before the nursing home so no one person dealt with dementia for years and years.

I wonder if it is a combo of living longer.. especially after dementia symptoms and we are just more aware? Back when my grandma had dementia there was no aging care forum to see others going through the same thing.

I also hate to see people live on years and years while their brain died a long time ago... all this time, effort, money to keep people alive whose brains are dying off (not to mention the poor caregiver practically giving up their lives for years and years).. so very sad. I hope I can avoid that fate for myself.

Longer lives are a big part of the increase in Alzheimer’s and dementia diagnoses. But, there is also early onset dementia. I believe that decades ago, we called it by many different names. Senility, hardening of the arteries, bats in the belfry, nervous breakdowns, etc. My doctor told me that a hundred years ago, if grandpa started acting crazy, chances are he got locked in a room. It was something that was NEVER talked about in Polite Society, so that could be part of it.

I agree about - yes, we live in a chemically derived world. Just about everything made anymore. That can't be healthy. Everything that we breath goes into our systems, what we put on our skin even absorbs into our blood stream, and most of our foods today?
While watching our news channel not long ago - they were talking about Dementia/ Alzheimer's is expected to go way up. Just made me wonder why our future looks so bleak!

One thing I noticed as I was shaking the family tree on my Dad's side of the family, they lived into their 90's and 100's even back in the 1800's. And oh my gosh, there were a lot of relatives. Lot of relatives way back then had 10 to 15 children, and their children kept the family pace.

Only one relative died of the 1918 flu epidemic which surprised me there weren't more. But then again, majority were farmers. Not face to face with a lot of people.

Had one great-great-grandfather pass from dementia, but his was caused by a farming accident where he was cleaning a well, had a kerosene lantern, and there was an explosion where he had lack of oxygen.

I remember talk of one relative old-timer who was said to be senile. He would go for a walk and the family had to go out to look for him hours later. Whether he was senile or just wanted to get out of house and visit other town folks is still not known :)

The medical condition that caused most of the family deaths was heart related, and that tradition still carries on. Dad lived to be 95. His Mom lived to be 91. One great-great aunt lived to be 103, she was a "spinster" as that was a common reference to a woman who never married.

1 2 3