This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
JessieBell is certainly correct. Obtaining guardianship is not ususally a do-it-yourself project. A lawyer is usually needed.

You can probably find forms online for your state. For Minnesota (for example) the Department of Justice maintains a site where you can get forms, a manual, and a lot of informative material for guardianship/conversatorship petitions. There is a form for petitioning the court. There is a form for waiver of the fee. There are forms you would have to file annually if you are appointed. Looking at these for your state will be very informative and help you decide whether guardianship is the appropriate course in your situation. You would still probably want to have a lawyer guide you through the court procedures.

Your profile says that your father has cancer. How is his cognitive capacity? Would he be considered legally incompetent to take care of his own affairs? That would be a requirement to get guardianship. To get POA he simply has to appoint you. He must be able to understand what he is signing, but there is no requirement for a formal evaluation of competency. In most cases the form has to be notarized and in some states it needs to be officially filed. This is often a do-it-yourself project, although in more complicated cased or when some family member might contest this an attorney can be helpful.

Many caregivers find POA and Healthcare Proxy are sufficient to do what they need to do on behalf of their loved one. That is a much simpler route than obtaining guardianship. This assumes, however, that the loved one is competent and willing to make the appointments.
Helpful Answer (2)

deb, guardianship is much more complicated than that. You have to have usually two doctors prepare statements that the person is incompetent, then petition the probate court to take control of the finances or body (or both). This is most easily done using a lawyer. It is expensive.

You may be talking about POA forms. A durable POA allows you to act as the agent for the person. There are two types -- springing and durable. Durable POAs take effect immediately, while springing take effect only after someone becomes incapacitated. Springing and durable POA forms are easy to get, but make sure they are the correct ones for your state. You can get them online or through a lawyer. You may also want to choose a healthcare POA (medical proxy). This is typically done when drawing up the advance directives.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter