Where to find a "cup" that my mother can use at night to drink water while she is in bed?

She gets dry mouth. She won't use the dry mouth sprays. We have used bed side cups with lids and straws jutting out like they use in hospitals. She falls asleep before putting them back on the night stand and they seep water all over her and the bed. I have tried numerous brands of baby sippy cups but they require a stiff sucking motion. I have tried other "carry/travel" models but they all seem to have some sort of mechanism that requires opening and closing which she can not do with her arthritic fingers -- and besides, she falls back asleep forgetting to close the mechanism. Today, I tried a "Sassy" brand cup with a different type of top but again it required a sucking motion which she can not accomplish. Currently, I am trying a "Contigo" brand cup with a push button on the side that releases the cover on a small opening. She does not have to suck on it, but she has trouble wrapping her hand around the bottle and pushing the button with her 3 fingers.

72

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
I don't use a cup at all--very inefficient. I use a bottle with a screw top. If I or my domestic partner accidentally knocks it over, no problem. Water only rarely gets out, and then only a few drops.

I work in LTC and one of my residents uses a plastic ketchup bottle! They are easy to hold and just need to squeeze a little bit to get some water !!!!

needhope: Those flavored sticks are a Godsend when you're in the ER and your mouth is as dry as the Saraha!

thank you AnneChung.I will give that look.
I think there is replacement valve tht is more of a squirter that will not leak.

OldSailor, check the valves as they are different softness/pressure. My CamelBack replacement valve was softer than the original. A big outdoor supply store would have a variety. Bite valves for straws are also sold separately as a replacement item.

AnneChung, that is what I was just thinking. One like platypus. But bite valves are very difficult to bite on with false teeth. But I think they make a manual valve of some sort for them.

Water bladder or bottle for hiking, they have bite valves.  Amazon.com

The little sponge on a stick that comes in a few flavors ...it is like a lolly pop but it is moist and comes in individual sealed packets. You could open up a few and put them in a cup with a very small amount of water by her bedside. Ask a medical supply store or pharmacy about these.

I think you said she does not like sprays but you might consider Biotene's dry mouth gel. They also make a dry mouth rinse - could use a little of that before bed, and then a bit of the gel. Not the same as water, but might help.

Try somewhere like https://www.especialneeds.com/shop/daily-living-aids/dining-aids/cups-drinking-aids.html

I just did a search:

There are many companies like this that sell health aids for rehab patients, nirsing homes, etc. Also what about a cup like you get in hospital, or even a no spill coffee cup or a bottle with screw top. It sounds a little silly, but you can glue and tape the top to a string tied around and glued to bottle so it won’t get separated and lost if she accidently drops. Either way, I’m sure you will find what you need. You can check with a local nursing home...go by and ask to talk to therapy department. You might just get blown off by a receptionist or nurse. Also, every city has health needs and equipment companies that sell all sorts of equipmemt, diapers, bed pads, oxygen, etc. etc. Usually even if they don’t sell dishes cups such as what you need, they will have catalogs. Also, you can contact Medicare, go online and check for vendors of medical equipmemt in your area. Hope this help someone. Another option is a children’s home/hospital for handicap or mentally challenged adults. They all use the same types of companies. I will tell you if you just browse the internet and look through the products you will find all kinds of good things to make life easier. I love my grandmother’s reacher, andsock/hose assistance device, and shower devices to put location on your back . You will find things that you didn’t knkw you needed. Even look for companies like this (nursing home and rehab, wheelchair, elderly clothing). Items with no zippers, buttons - just snaps or velcro. Items (shirts, gowns, etc.) that don’t require going over head and having to struggle with them getting their arms up. It is just amazing. You will find things that work for even the younger group. I love the sturdy sheets and 100% cottom blankets that hospitals and ambulances use. Hospital supply companies will sell aong with gloves etc. They are made to be washed in 180degree water as required for sanitation every day so they will last in the home forever without shrinking or pilling. I have some I have had for 30years and still are fine.

1 2 3 4 5