Mother (78) and crippled with fibromyalgia, can't walk the stairs to get to her room. Any help?

We are a Family that don't have disposable income. She need help with a stair lift to help her get upstairs. Can you help? Is there a place that donates this type of machinery? I need help please. She lives in Danville CA.

24

Answers

1 2 3
It became a real problem when my mom could not get up the stairs anymore to shower. I converted a room downstairs with a half bath into a bedroom for her and hired a lady to come one or twice a week to help her get upstairs (at first) and then to bath her downstairs when she could not do the stairs anymore. She was keeping herself clean up in between, but then the dementia set in and it became a real problem because of Intertrigo. Long story short, I had to put her in assisted living where they do baths three times a week. Certainly, I would prefer she get a bath daily, but it's not realistic. Try to see if the doctor will order her some home health care physical and occupations therapy. It sound like you need a home health care assessment to start off and go from there.

Regarding moving loved one to a downstairs room.....What do you do for showers if there's only a half bath downstairs? Afraid I'll have to accommodate my husband with a downstairs bedroom but can't redo half bath to install a shower. No room. Moving is the only option and I'd hate to take him out of his familiar.

FloMae

I think it is her bedroom up there.

M88...........:?)

What's up there that she must get to?

Great idea, freqflier. That would also give mom a part in the decision, too. Mimi, you know your mom's personality better than anyone. Be careful of the allure of something shiny and new. My mom was sweet, loving, and totally devoted to me. She was also selfish and liked to show off. (She had no concept of money. It took my dad's navy and civil service pensions and his social security, plus some of what I was blessed to earn at a part time job after retirement, to pay for a modest ALF and associated expenses. My dad spoiled mom while he was alive, and I guess I am guilty of trying my best to do that, too.) If we saw something that would feed her ego, she would absolutely love it. As soon as the new wore off, though, I would find it hidden somewhere, barely used. If I bought two pairs of earrings and offer her a choice, she would figure out which ones I had bought for myself, debate for awhile, look at me with her pretty blue eyes, and ask if she could have the ones I bought for myself. Her best friend and I used to enjoy our little game. The same principle would have applied to a motorized scooter that would not fit in her room, too! So, as freqflier said, allowing your mom to try the chair would tell you a lot. Is she comfortable using it? Do you think it is something she will use? My mom would want the second floor to herself by way of the chair and a fancy, girly downstairs room, too. I would give anything if she were here today, so enjoy the time you have with your mom. Do your best for her and the rest of your family, and take it one day at a time. One of the best pieces of advice someone gave to me when mom was ill was, "Don't forget to live." God bless you and your family.

ramiller brought up an excellent point. One could spend $10k on a chair lift and the elder would refuse to use it. Then there would be the cost of having the chair lift professionally removed.

Mimi, therefore have your Mom try out a chair lift if there is one available to use. That would be your answer to know if to stay with Plan A [looking for a chair lift] or go to Plan B [have Mom live only on the main level].

No way to stay on it all the time especially if you are younger it will eat away at your bones and you will be worse off. As to stair lifts medicaid will not coves these even if doctor recommends. The cost start at about 10,000 for a staircase with no turns or twists, unless there are only a few stairs. Moving her downstairs is an option if you have the room to do it. Another option is to call a couple companies and get firm quotes then try a gofundme page to cover the cost. Cant hurt to try, but one thing you must determine first is will she be able to use it and willing to. Some older folks are scared of these things so make sure she is up for it first. Hope u find the right answer for your family. Many of us are now wishing we had bought a ranch home, me included.

Prednisone has that effect on me too. I feel GREAT and have NO pain in my body when I'm taking it. My doctor said he would like to see me on it full time except for the AWFUL side effects like deterioration of the bones etc. I don't think it's safe to stay on it all the time.

I was on prednisone for a few days....like ten days, and I cleaned all the windows, screens, sills, glass panes removed, and cleaned inside out including the blinds.......all in one sunny day.

Now... when I get a little industrious, hubby asks: "Are you on prednisone or what???"

Hahaha, since now I'm so tired of being the care giver that I did the kitchen window only and needed a nap.

Wassup with that?

M88

strange that I was talking to a friend today and she was telling me that her mother's doctor put her on prednisone and that she was bed ridden when she started and was able to clean their entire house when she was put on prednisone. As with most steroids, they started her on a high doseage and reduced it down gradually over about 10 days to 2 weeks and she would maintain for a few weeks and need to go back on it again. I have not had any experience with this. It is simply analogous. I have success with occasional prednisone for injuries to arthritic joints. This is what started the conversation today with her. Good luck with your mom.
For general inflammation, I use Botswala (medicinal frankincense) and Circummmin (the ingredient in tumeric that makes it yellow) You can just make a tumeric shake, but it tastes awful..

1 2 3