My 83 year old mom keeps two loaded hand guns in the house "for protection". How do I deal with this?

my mom is 83 years old and keeps 2 loaded hand guns in the house "for protection". How do I deal with this? How can I get them from her? she keeps them hidden away and seems paranoid in general, but she's always been this way. Help!

This is scary! Do you think you can get rid of the ammunition? While there are some people who can still aim and shoot at 83, a paranoid personality could be a tragedy waiting to happen. If nothing else, you may have to involve law enforcement. I don't know the laws in your state, but they maybe will have suggestions for you. Good luck,
I think she is smart. You have not mentioned any mental or physical frailties. If that is the case, then she has the right to defend herself against violent criminals.
Guns are only evil if misused, and the elderly are more vulnerable than others.
Her ability to aim is irrelevant - most gun uses are extreme close range - within 10 feet, so her aim is not going to be a factor - even the blind keep and carry guns for protection!
Again, so long as she is mentally and physically competent, it is her right, and I say, go mom!

If she has not got the mental capacity (and paranoia is not a disqualifier) then you will need to take steps to have the firearms removed. If you do so, be sure to give her another means of self defense! I recommend the wasp spray that shoots a stream up to 20 feet. This is an excellent non lethal self defense tool for any age.
My mother was extremely paranoid at the beginning. . .before meds. My brother-in-law just picked up the pistol and walked out of the house with it. She kept asking for it, but NOBODY wanted her to have the gun. By this point, she was declaired incompentent, so we had the right to take the gun. I suggest that you removed the guns from her presence. I was afraid that if she pulled out an unloaded gun, she would get shot by the police, then, we would have an altogether different problem. Take Away The Guns! ! !
I was wondering...Is there something in particular that she's afraid of? Things she's seen on the news? Is she obsessive about other things? Or is she just afraid to be alone?
When my Dad moved in with me, I sent his gun collection to my brother in law and nephews. They hunt and have locked gun safes.
I, on the other hand, have a curious ADHD son, and a parade of strange caregivers that come to the house to take care of Dad. Access to firearms is not in their job description.
Dad is very resentful, but its my house. My rules.
Your momma's guns have to go away. If she pointed a gun at anyone, she could be arrested. If she pointed a gun at a cop, the officer could shoot her.
I agree with Ms Bursack that involving local law enforcement is in order. Maybe a visit from a nice friendly neighborhood cop will help her make sensible decisions. At the very least, the police need a record that there might be a potential issue here.
My husband is 87 with alzheimers. We live in the country and have always had guns for protection. Sometimes he doesn't know where he is and occasionally doesn't recognize me. I am afraid that at one of those times he might shoot me thinking I'm a burglar, or shoot someone else in the house. I haven't seen an attorney but have been told that if he shoots someone, I am the one without the alzheimers, so I would be legally responsible. And morally, of course. I got rid of the serious gun and have hidden my small revolver where he can't find it. I have enough problems without gun problems and won't take a chance.

garza
get your hands on the weapons and get a friend / gunsmith to drop the firing pins out of them. most weapons disassemble readily and without tools for ease of cleaning .ms paranoid aint gonna give up her guns without a fight..
Terrim: My parents always had guns around the house and when dad passed away, we had no problem with mother having a pistol nearby. But when dementia set in and she was having paranoid anger issues about non existant problems, that was the time to change our ideas of when to remove the gun. She imagined her eldest son was trying to kill her and every person coming to the door was a threat. . .all we needed was for her to start firing off that gun. You should NEVER leave a gun with a person that has dementia issues. The guardian may end up being the responsible person in that case. I'm not anti gun, I'm for keeping our loved ones safe en every possible way.
SCAAAAARRRRRY!!!!
Everyone has the right to drive a vehicle, but there comes a time when that right needs to be forfeited for the individual's and public's safety. This is not a gun owner rights issue. You are concerned for her safety and the safety of others who visit her home. Please consider her needs before her rights. The little 5 year old that shot his 2 year old sister with his own .22 certainly had the right to own a firearm. Could he operate a gun safely? NO!! Don't wait for a tragedy like this to happen to your family. You will suffer the guilt of having done nothing to preserve everyone's safety.
@Scared. You can contact the DMV (or your Dad's doctor) and tell them you are concerned about your Dad driving. The DMV will then send him a letter requiring him to retake the written and driving test again. I made the request to my Mom's doctor. In California, if you are diagnosed with Dementia, they suspend your license. However, it can be appealed, and then someone else will be making the decision. Legally, it doesn't sound like his doctor is following the law. He should report the guns and driving issue.