My mom has dementia, diabetes and kidney disease.
She has lost most of her short-term memory and a lot of her long-term memory. I am her legal POA and take care of her.

She has a small pension when she lived in Phoenix when my Dad was alive, he has passed over 3 years now. The pension is direct deposited each month on the first. Since she now lives in California with me, she opened a new account at a different bank and never sent in a request for address change or to change the direct deposit to her new bank.

I conacted the company in writing that handles the direct deposit and explained the situation and sent a copy of the POA. They wrote back that they cannot accept the request in writing, and I have to call and speak to a rep. for security reasons.

Is this legal? We requested official document which we can get notarized along with copies of documents of her address and new banking information to put the address change in and change banks for her pension.

I have a 401k and if I am changing banks I must do it in writing.

This company refuses to do this and we haven't receipt fed and statements monthly or quarterly on this account.

We have left the funds in this other bank we we cannot get access to anymore.

Is this legal, I also called and they advised she may st get on the phone and call them, if she has dementia she will not remember.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I would like to reinforce GivingItMyAll that you must jump through the hoops that the bank puts in front of you. However, you can say: "You will eventually give us the money. Now what do you want and please put what you want in writing and send it to me." That way their demands are not subject to change with changing managers and are not misconstrued by you or Mom.
Helpful Answer (0)

Thank you for your reply, we had to sign notarized documents and mail it in.
I will call them appreciate the reply, just wanted to make sure.
Helpful Answer (0)

How did you handle the social security check without being representative payee? I understand that it's frustrating to have to jump through their hoops, but you have to do it their way. Get on the phone with the pension people and when it gets to the point where mom needs to voice permission, give her the phone and let her. That's what we had to do. They understood about dementia but still had to follow procedure.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter