Why am I being treated like a bad daughter for refusing a chest x-ray at the ER?

OK, so mom's ALF called at 11 pm to say they were sending her to ER because her sugar was low (paramedic said was at 24). She is a type 1 diabetic. I arrive at the ER just as they as unloading her from ambulance. I go into the entrance asked to wait in waiting room while they settle her in. Fine right. Only have me wait about 10 to 15 minutes, the ER was very busy.
I go back and the nurse tells me her sugar is now 117, but she is not talking. Which I try to say that is normal for her with her dementia. I notice there is a list of test ordered on the wall for her (CT scan, ultrasound and chest xray). I ask the nurse if all that is ordered for her. He said that since she was unresponsive the doctor order to see why her sugar was low. I said this happens as a result of her not eating, can we not do the tests. He says he can send the doctor over.
10 more minutes. Dr. comes over and immediately goes into how no one was here and she was unresponsive and the test were to help figure out what was going on. I say OK, I am here. She has dementia and this is what mostly happened. He interrupts me say well she is unresponsive. I stop and says yes but I rushed here to answer questions and am here. I am ok with CT scan to make sure she did not have a stroke, but why the chest xray or ultrasound? Xray to make sure she does not have fluid on lungs. I said she is here for low sugar, not a cold or cough or chest pain. He they said well she was foaming at mouth and could have shallowed some fluid and that could be on her lungs. Really can't we treat the diabetes? Dr then says well you can refuse but if she gets pneumonia later that is on me. My response was, that was just rude of you. NO xray or ultrasound just CT scan and can we get her some snacks to see if I can get her to eat something to stabilize her sugar. His response, I guess she will eat it. Seriously, because I question you. No one asked he a history or wanted to hear anything I was saying.
I did get mom to talk to me, but she was very combative, which I know means her sugar is still low. Nurse finally brings snacks and checks her sugar and it is dropping again, now at 74. Dr. comes back to tell me what the nurse just told me and that mom has a UTI which could also be cause the problem so going to get her IV for sugar and antibiotics. Me being angry at this point, say I know about the UTI she was being treated at the ALF, if some one would bother to actually speak to me and ask me her history and what has being going I I would have told you. P*ssed off Dr. is like well this is why we run tests and she could not answer. Serioulsy I am her and no one is asking questions. He then says he would like to admit her to her this in control, but I don't have to if I don't want to. I am being a a**, I should just let them run up a huge bill and run every test because she can't answer them. Ask some thing and I will answer you. Jack A**es! Oh course she needs to be admitted, I am not trying to deny her care, just unessary tests.

CT scan done, no sign of any new damage. Another doctor comes over to tell me she is being admitted and then asks me is there any history they should know about. Finally what should have been done over an hour ago. He does ask me what type of diabetes, I say type 1 and he questions if I am right, because doesn't sound right. Really, what is wrong with this place this evening? His also ask why no chest xray, my answer because I don't feel it is nesscary to treat her condition.
He then trys to listen to her chest and mom throws a fit about him taking away her covers because she is cold. Another reason not to do extra test her response is combative, come on.
So, 3 am I leave as they admit her and hope the Dr's on the floor are more willing to listen.
Am I wrong or this horrible person for not just letting do whatever? Just feeling so annoyed

27

Answers

1 2 3
Honestly I do feel is was because of the UTI. The always check her suagr before giving her the insulin as she is on a sliding scale dose. The ALF actually bring her a snack every evening around 8 pm and they allow us to keep a small dorm refrigerator in her room with, juice ensure and snacks. Can't make her eat though. She has never had a big appetite, and I notice has not changed. Things gave been OK for the most part, then this UTI happened.

Tattoochick, I'm with you. But I am wondering why your mom's blood sugar goes low frequently. Maybe ask her doctor to reevaluate her insulin/ oral diabetic medication? Does she take long or short acting insulin? Are they not checking her blood sugar prior to giving her insulin or oral meds? Can you ask the staff to make sure she gets a snack before bedtime to prevent this drop? Just offering solutions.

Mom released from hospital this evening. Still on edge to see what happens. I am afraid now that the sore on her foot is now bandage the ALF will have a problem with that. They spoke with doctors and said OK, but I always seem to expect the worst now. Fingers crossed that there are no issues tomorrow when I visit her at the ALF.

This is the first time I have had this experience. I am trying to let it go today and chalk it up to a busy ER on a Holiday weekend. My anxiety level is a 10 out of 10 today, as my husband is back out work after a three day weekend and I am on my own to head to the hospital and see what is up. Fingers crossed she is discharged and can go back to ALF.

Tattoochick, I'm with you. Doctors need to listen to family members with an established history with their parents. You know her history and they should have let you in right away. I wonder if there's a way to make sure you're included from the get-go in the future?

Yes I was being sarcastic.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think she was being sarcastic, saying that despite trying to explain to the dr that there is an established pattern for her mom, and that the daughter wanted to make sure they stabilized her mom's sugar first, the dr got into it with her and suggested that it would be Tattoochick's own fault if she ignored his suggestion for an xray and her mom ends up with bronchitis.

Tattoo, are you saying that having a chest x-ray would cause bronchitis? How does that work? I'm curious.

Tattoochick, in your place I would be tempted to google the ER dr and see how long he's been on staff. Many hospitals have those pages online now. Is this a teaching hospital? Some of the ER residents at our teaching hospital were really screwballs. At the hospital my husband works at now, they hire locum tenens drs to fill in gaps for permanent staff. Sometimes when you see they were just hired a few months ago or something, it's easier not to take it so personally.

Don't feel bad about this -- your mom is ok, that's the most important thing. Your questions were reasonable; the dr sounds like a jerk.

1 2 3