How long does the approval process take for VA Aid & Attendance Benefits?

I have applied for the Aid and Attendance Benefit for my Mom as the surviving spouse of a qualifying veteran. From what I have been told, she qualifies for this benefit however it seems to be taking an awfully long time and it sometimes feels we are now getting the run around...I am sure there are others of you out there who have gone through this....on average what time frame has it taken for this process to be approved, from start to finish....We began this back in February and still it drags on...Thanks for any info you can give. I am Mom's caregiver 24/7 and cannot work because I cannot leave her.

45

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
there is a local office that can help you. Know that unless they give you financial advice, it is illegal for anyone to charge for helping you file for benefits. Found this out when I went somewhere that was recommended to me. Found out accidentally and was just about to pay. Thank goodness I found the county resource. Good luck!

We just received approval for Aid and Assistance for mom. I went to our county’s Veteran’s Assistance office, and the man in charge of benefits was a godsend. We filed on September 25 and recieved the approval letter on 11/16. Along with the application, he included a request that they expedite due to mom’s advanced age (she’s 98). There was no fee involved. Check to see if th

There are agencies (Patriot Angels) who will assist with filing, however be aware they want a $750.00 fee to the attorney who reviews and files. I went directly to the VA to a contact recommended by my dad's ALF here in Florida. He was wonderful: gave me a list of needed docs and I filed quickly, unfortunately I have been waiting to hear for 3 months now (filed in August 2017). They do pay retroactively from the time of filing if approved for the benefit.

Arianna2, I can't answer your 2nd question but as to question #1, you will need a court-certified copy of the discharge papers. I had the original paper for my dad but he had never gone to the courthouse to get it certified (I was told this was common). I had to go to my local courthouse and get certified copies made. They did not charge anything for this. Hope this helps.

We were unbelievably fortunate to receive the pension in 3 months but unfortunate because they took it away after 8 months saying that we did not deserve it. It was then that I sought the help of the Swain Firm, lawyers who know what they are doing for Vets. The pension has since been reinstated and I can only advise everyone to seek help in obtaining it immediately.

yes a year and the retro 1yr took another year due to the fiduciary to be set up or it would have been couple months less!

I applied for my mother in September 2012. I had the assistance of a representative of a veteran's non-profit organization (no charge) who helped me navigate the forms. However, it still took 9 months and my mom received her first monthly benefit in May 2013. She did not receive the retroactive pay until November 2013. My mom has Alzheimer's so I had to apply to be appointed as her fiduciary representative and this took extra time. I found the whole process to be extremely frustrating and stressful but am very grateful to have the funds to help pay my mother's care costs--I desperately needed this pension for her.

Look at AVA's Website. It gives you an idea of the timeline for receiving VA benefits.

ours took over a year if I remember right!

I applied for my 89 year old father in April of 2012, still nothing. I sent VA a letter basically begging them to expedite and they responded with a letter basically saying don't call us, we'll call you when we are ready. So, 19 months and counting. This was in Pennsylvania. I called th local VA office and the could not help because I did not apply through the (big mistake), but they did tell me that it is not uncommon to wait 19 months or more, even for widows of veterans who are in need of the aid and attendance. I am so very disappointed in the VA, my father served in WW2, lost a brother in that war, but it means nothing much to them. So good luck to anyone who tries it, I am sorry to report this but it is the sad truth.

1 2 3 4 5