I have resigned as a live-in caregiver and would like some samples of letters that I can submit to my employer the day I leave, a letter that protects me from both health liabilities (the elder man I was taking care of has diabetes and required continuous monitoring and insulin shots. I want them to sign a letter stating that he is fine as of the moment I'm leaving) and other liabilities associated with living in a home (theft, etc.) I have heard horror stories and would like to protect myself. Thanks for your advise!

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you all for your input. I'm giving almost 3 weeks notice. Was interviewed by the son and the elder pays me. I'm leaving because he's verbally abusive and can't take this anymore. The wife and the son are nice to me and they both said they understand why I'm leaving. I'm in good terms with them; however, I believe it's always good to prepare for anything that could go wrong, especially when one works independently, not through an agency. The son has even asked for my help reviewing resumes! I believe, like one of you suggested, that the easiest way is to ask for a recommendation letter. Will explore the other options as well. Again, thank you for your suggestions!
Helpful Answer (2)

Some questions first:

Who hired you, and who paid you: The man you cared for, a family member, or an agency?

If it's the family, my guess is that they're going to balk at the representations you're requesting. They might sign an "apparent" (appears to be) qualified letter, but I think they would be sticking their necks out to affirm that he is "fine" when they're not medical people.

If you really want someone to affirm as to non theft, you'd have to have a qualified letter, something to the effect that as of that time, no obvious theft has occurred, and/or no obvious items are missing.

If you're employed by an agency, I doubt they would sign any type of letter in that they have no knowledge of the man's personal health issues beyond what you've told them or reported to them. In addition, they're not qualified to opine on his health, were not present for care, and lack the knowledge to affirm anything (other than perhaps hours worked, if they have a call-in arrival and departure process.

Personally, I think you're too smart to be in this kind of situation again. You obviously are thinking ahead and are concerned about liability. But I suspect that might threaten the family and make them wonder why you would in fact be so concerned and have knowledge of an essential liability release letter.

I understand your concerns, and think they're realistic. You raise one of the intractable issues of care for a person as opposed to providing services through a job within a structure that can be monitored.

If you want samples, google "indemnification" and "hold harmless letter" and modify accordingly. You're not asking for those assurances, but you're fairly close. I and HH letters would be the closest to what you want. I'm not in HR, or employment law, but I don't think that what you ask for is common practice.

Are you concerned not only because of what you've heard may have happened to others, or because you have specific concerns with this client or his family? Or are there issues of his noncompliance?

I think what I might do is provide a schedule of what you've done, especially the med schedule, attach it as an exhibit to your departure letter and ask the client to initial it, obviously keeping the original for yourself. That way they're at least on notice of the care he needs and can't claim that you didn't pre-warn them, especially if he doesn't take or isn't given meds on a timely basis.

You would be providing notice of his needs and getting confirmation that you've provided such notice.

What you might also do is search on "employment law", then "indemnification" or "hold harmless" letters. They would be more specific, so you would have to modify them. Or go to the local law library and ask one of the librarians to help you find a sample letter.
Helpful Answer (0)

97yroldmom Did you have an agreement prior to your employment? Explaining your advance notice, pay, time off, duties responsabilities, etc.? I agree with a prior post as to time to get a replacement.
Helpful Answer (2)

Look for a hold harmless agreement.
However, what about a reference letter? Might be more beneficial in the long run.
Helpful Answer (2)

How many days of advance warning have you given the employer so that they have time to find another live-in caregiver? You might try Googling "templates letters of transfer of nursing care" or something similar. You may have to combine a couple of samples or templates to get the form that you want.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter