Follow

It's become clear to me through posts and PMs that there are some gardeners here just waiting for the chance to discuss gardening!

So, I was thinking... how do you use gardening, or how does it affect you if you need a break, need some respite, need to relax, need inspiration....how do you use it as a therapy tool in caregiving?

What are your activities: Do you go out and pull weeds, read a magazine, design new beds? Look through garden catalogues? Go to garden stores?
And what interests have you added to your gardening? Visit estate or garden displays? Do you go to garden shows?

Does anyone design and plant Knot Gardens? Raised bed planters? Assistive gardens? Pollinator gardens (and have you thought of ways to help the bees and butterflies?)

Are your gardens primarily for pleasure or food, or a mix of both? Do you grow plants for medicinal purposes? Which ones, how do you harvest and process them? Any suggestions?

Do you grow plants that can be used in crafts, such as grapevines for wreaths and lavender for lavender wands? Do you make herbal products such as creams, lotions, chapstick?

What else can you share about gardening and the means in which it nurtures your soul?

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Have any of you grown herbs? I wouldn’t mind trying it. Can they be grown in a kitchen window? Or is it better outside?

My daughter had mint outside her apartment when she lived here.

She lives upstairs now in Colorado and doesn’t have a balcony area.
(1)

Sendhelp, that movie (The Gardener) is incredible! Highly recommend it. Beautiful, gentle, low-key documentary. Loved it.
(2)

Please do, GA. I will also ask hubby about it. He’s the techie in our home.

My photos came out nice. The quality will probably not be as good if I modify them but I can try anyway.
(0)

NHWM, I'll check my files.  I have to find the original photo and the reduction, which is probably stored offline so I have to do some searching.
(1)

The garden of Frank Cabot.
Quebec
Amazon Prime documentary
"THE GARDENER"
(3)

GA,

Please let me know if you find how much you reduced it by.

Thanks.

Send,

I will look to see about compression.

Thanks.
(0)

I created a post but somehow it disappeared.   Maybe it'll show up after I duplicate it now.

NHWM, you do have to reduce a standard size photo and crop it as Send states.   Avatar space is limited, and typically different for various forums.   I think my morning glory was cropped to about 50% or more of its original size.

I'll see if I can find the photos and let you know the size.   Then you probably can load it directly from your hard drive.
(1)

NHWM,
Crop it.
There are some web application that you could use to reduce the file size.
Avery, Pixlr.
The app store in the I-phone has "Compress Photos."

Per my dH.

My answer would be to search the internet for a photo of a camelia, Lol.
See?
(1)

Okay, I will try to figure it out later. Thanks anyway, cwille.
(0)

You'll have to google that, it looks possible but I'm no techie.
(1)

cwille,

Can I reduce the file size? I am not that proficient in doing these techie things. Can you help me?

I would ask my husband but he went into the office today. He usually works at home due to Covid but occasionally they go in.
(0)

Could be the camera on your phone is too good and the file is too big NHWM.
(1)

Send, it wouldn’t upload! Should I try again? I have the latest iPhone. It’s new! I just purchased this phone.

I love the blast of color this time of year with my camellias. They are a beautiful shade of pink.

My Japanese magnolia tree is a really nice shade of deep purple. The blooms don’t last very long. I wish the blooming season was a bit longer with my tree but it is so pretty when it blooms! My tree is full of buds right now. I am excited waiting for it to bloom.

I look forward to the burst of color every year.
(1)

Chris,

Know what you mean. Our poor plants don’t know what season it is anymore!

Our weather is crazy! One day it feels like summer, the next day, chilly.

In New Orleans we tell people if you don’t like the weather, then stick around for 20 minutes and it will change! Hahaha

I believe there is a significant change because I remember as a child my mom would pack up winter clothes when it was cool, put out summer attire. Then at the end of summer, she would pack up our summer clothes and take out the winter clothes.

No more! Now we have both seasons all year long!

Hey, I am in the south so our weather is very screwy. We barely have a spring season. We have no fall foliage, a brief winter and a long, hot humid summer!

Oh, we get a fair amount of rainfall here and let’s not speak about our hurricane season this year or I will get depressed!
(1)

NHWM,
Did you click "SAVE?"
(0)

I would love to see camellias and magnolia right now, but sadly will have to wait until next March in our climate. They are worth waiting for, though! Something weird is going on this November - a daffodil has just flowered in my garden today, the earliest ever, and a variety that normally comes out in February. Global warming maybe?
(1)

Well I tried to upload a photo of my camellias for my avatar.

Boo hoo, it won’t go through! What am I doing wrong?

My camellias are blooming their hearts out! They are so pretty.

My Japanese magnolia tree will be blooming soon. It is full of buds! I love that tree. It’s about 30 years old and blooms so beautifully every year!
(0)

Cwillie, sounds great! I always think that when you are planting bulbs you are planting hope, thinking of all those lovely flowers that will be blooming in a few months, regardless of Covid, winter, and anything else that life throws at us!
(0)

I'm feeling rather proud of myself right now. I potted up some daffodils and crocus to force and had planned to leave them out in my garden shed but realized that by the time their 12 - 16 week chill period was over the temperatures out there were almost certainly going to be too cold 🤔. My solution? I dug a trench in my now empty flower bed, lined it with plastic, put in the pots, covered them with a piece of plywood to keep out the squirrels and covered that with the soil from the trench. Should work (I hope)!
(5)

San Francisco is full of little staircases all over the city, much hidden and beloved. Today I ran out of stuff to do in the garden and headed to one nearby and swept, cleaned the eroding dirt off the path. Was once an old gravel pit/rock pit in this area when our 1870s building was first built. Fun to see the rock all still under there as I worked. Full of echium plants, which I love, all their conical flowers now in seed, awaiting spring rains. We are late start, only 2/10 an inch Northern CA now. Hoping not another drought to deal with, as well. We use our wash water on some of our garden; a lot of the plants like the nitrogen in our eco laundry stuff. While lots of gardens go on shut down SF is starting to send up cineraria, oxalis and so many other weedy things I think of as flowers. The Covid will soon have me gardening our streets.
(3)

Cwillie and Needhelp, v funny about snowdrops as an icier version of a raindrop! I did of course mean the lovely winter flowers! Now stuck at home in a second UK lockdown, I've been aerating the lawn. Never done this before but am desperate to get out of the house. Squirrels have been watching me make holes all over the lawn and then dropping nuts into them. Birds have then been coming along and trying to get the food out. Not sure what this is doing to my lawn...
(1)

Send, thanks for your suggestions.   I'm going to get some Irish Spring soap, grate it, and place it in the gutter by the squirrel entrance and exit.    I think I'll create a border for the holes using double sided tape, adding shredded soap to the exterior to keep them away.  

I'll also add it to a flap screen over the hole so I can tell if they're still getting in.

Shredded garlic and coffee grounds might be an extra treat for them.   I might spread them in the gutter near the holes.  I'll just have to remember to explain to the buyer when I sell the house why there's garlic in the gutters.

Thanks for helping with this challenging problem.
(1)

GardenArtist,
White pepper, Cayenne, garlic, coffee grounds-all disliked by squirrels.

Squirrels can be one of the trickiest garden pests to deal with. They chomp on flower bulbs and other leaves, dig up your favorite plants, and otherwise love to wreck your garden. Protect it by grating some Irish Spring soap around your plants. Squirrels can't stand the smell of it and will stay away.
(2)

Lol, so confused....Snowdrops? I wondered when did someone change the terminology of snow, to snowdrops? It has always been raindrops, snowflakes,
sleet, ice, and icebergs. Yeah, but, you are talking about plants, I see! What better to discuss on the 'gardening as therapy' thread! It took me awhile as I was just waking up from a nap, and outside was sunshine. It was 80 degrees, and hard to wake up!

Snowdrops are not to be confused with Snowflakes - The Snowflake is a much taller growing bulb which normally has more than one flower per stem. Snowflake petals are even, each with a green spots on the end, whereas Snowdrops have helicopter-like propellers that are green only on the inner petals.

Snow
Snow is something that Cwillie shovels in winter. Lol.

Squirrels
I know that I said I was going to be feeding the squirrels. But then a few big crows came by, and took the peanuts. Nevermore! 🦃
Please don't tell NHWM or I will have to hear more 'Quoth the Raven' stories, and I was really nervous the next day, when about 20 crows perched up high in the trees, watching me, waiting for peanuts!

Lol. 🐿🐿🐿
(1)

I'm imagining snowdrops in January..... 😮

Oh well, at least I'm not already heavy into winter like some folks here are.
(2)

Been spending a lot of time in the garden this week after a difficult time with my mother. Have noticed the snowdrops have started to come up already, so I am looking forward to seeing these lovely winter flowers in January.
(2)

My camellias are really beautiful right now!
(1)

I can't think of anywhere that our squirrels don't go, including the sidewalks.
Speaking of squirrels, I left the last partially filled paper leaf bag by my door because wind blown leaves tend to collect there and this morning I found a big hole chewed into the side of the bag. A new place to hide a nut? 😖😠
(2)

Just a quick observation.   Yesterday I saw a squirrel with something in its mouth, but it was scurrying along the sidewalk, not the grass.  In all the years I've lived here, I've never seen a squirrel use a sidewalk like a human would.  

I'm not sure what to think of this.  Perhaps it was a neat freak squirrel and wanted to keep its feet clean?   It definitely knew its destination; it was as if it was on a trip.
(1)

Send,

Oh my gosh! I saw The Birds at a drive in movie with my parents and brothers as a young child. Fabulous movie but I had nightmares afterwards!

I absolutely love Hitchcock films.
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter