Follow

It's become clear to me through posts and PMs that there are some gardeners here just waiting for the chance to discuss gardening!

So, I was thinking... how do you use gardening, or how does it affect you if you need a break, need some respite, need to relax, need inspiration....how do you use it as a therapy tool in caregiving?

What are your activities: Do you go out and pull weeds, read a magazine, design new beds? Look through garden catalogues? Go to garden stores?
And what interests have you added to your gardening? Visit estate or garden displays? Do you go to garden shows?

Does anyone design and plant Knot Gardens? Raised bed planters? Assistive gardens? Pollinator gardens (and have you thought of ways to help the bees and butterflies?)

Are your gardens primarily for pleasure or food, or a mix of both? Do you grow plants for medicinal purposes? Which ones, how do you harvest and process them? Any suggestions?

Do you grow plants that can be used in crafts, such as grapevines for wreaths and lavender for lavender wands? Do you make herbal products such as creams, lotions, chapstick?

What else can you share about gardening and the means in which it nurtures your soul?

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Thank you Bridget!

I have a great picture of a Palo Verde tree in full bloom and it can't be posted here, just doesn't work, so I have experience with that :-)
(0)

ITRR, The pic I took to email looks like a green blob as avatar. I'll try again tomorrow when I have better light on my sunporch.
(0)

Bridget, can you share the picture by making it your avatar? I would love to see it.

Thank you in advance :-)
(1)

I felt good about my with 23 blooms. took a pic and sent to my GF. She sent back a pic of one she got from Mom. I was covered in blooms about 40. I've never seen one with that many blooms. Her mother was a master gardener. Had a yard full of beautiful plants and a sunporch full too. That will never be me.
(2)

My Christmas cactus has 23 flower buds!
(5)

Bridget my Christmas cactus has 2 blooms on it, but its pretty small!
(0)

Mine too Bridget! The early ones were already setting buds when I brought them inside and are in full bloom now (yes, I have too many of them), the big surprise is that my mom's bushel sized one that usually blooms around Easter (if at all) has buds too :)
(3)

One of my Christmas cactus is early blooming this year. It has 23 buds starting to break open. I can't see buds on my other two plants.
(3)

Well, I can tell you...
Cannas and amaryllis would be lovely indoors for Easter.
(3)

That's what I figured Golden, but I was hoping someone would tell me they'd be OK 🤣.
I do have a slightly cooler basement store room where I keep my potatoes, onions etc. I've wintered over stuff before but they tend to sprout by March, which is much too early.
(1)

cw - I would take them in. Do you have a cold window sill for storage?

Full on snow here now. Everything is getting buried in it including my front driveway. Snow Angels -where are you?
(0)

I still have some dahlias, cannas, amaryllis and a few other things out in my little garden shed and they are predicting overnight lows of- 8°C (17.6°F).....
What do you all think, must I bring everything in now? (the longer I can put it off the better because I don't really have a cold room in my basement)
(0)

Yes, you Americans call them gutters.
It drives me crazy that gutter is slowly creeping into use in advertising Canada, and that spell check tried to tell me that eavestrough wasn't a word.

(And it makes me even crazier when my great nephew insists the alphabet ends with zee😠. Nuh-uh.... it's ZED!!!)
(3)

Eavestrough?

Rain gutter?
(0)

It's crazy mild here for early November but that's okay by me, I figure we're just getting the weather we were cheated out of in September and October. I was out cleaning my eavestrough wearing just a T shirt (er.. and pants, I mean no coat🤣), and I got the leaves that have fallen (about 90%) all shredded and spread over my gardens. 🍂🍁
(1)

Very mild fall here too! Got up to nearly 80 today. We are seeing leaf colors that we don't usually see because snow comes earlier causing leaves to drop. The reds and purples are amazing! We Always get lots of yellows!
(2)

We had a little snow, not that unusual right at Halloween but its about a week early.
(2)

Wondering if planting Crysanthemums will get rid of mosquitoes?
(0)

We've had a mild fall too. But had a hard frost last night and supposed to have more over next 5 days.
(1)

It's been a mild fall here and only a few overnight frosts and it's after the middle of October. We are may have a little snow on the weekend but it won't stay yet.
(1)

Rain today, rain yesterday, and rain the day before that😒. Predictions of well below freezing tonight so who knows, maybe even a little snow (areas near me have already had it). And then it's supposed to go up to almost 20°C by Monday???
The municipal leaf/yard waste collection ends next week and needless to say I haven't been raking, but then most of the leaves are still on the trees....
(2)

Potatoes got dug and pumpkins all in. Ended up with 7 bushels of potatoes. Got all of them out in the attic on newspaper. Grandsons did all the work. Way too many pumpkins. Cleaned two to make pumpkin casserole and a couple of pies tomorrow.
(3)

Thanks to those who offered support for my challenges, which fortunately could be a lot worse, but they're not. That's one of the reasons I've been reading a lot of WWI and II novels, many based on real experiences. I remind myself that I'm nowhere near the nigthmarish situations those people suffered through, and survived.

I did have some surprises. The little blue flowers, the name of which I can't remember right now, appeared again, and bloomed for a very short time. I've never figured out why they don't appear in the same site; it's as if they're a "traveling bloom".

The goldenrod moved again, appearing in 2 places, and bloomed well until just a few days ago. I forgot to collect seeds; would it be too late now?

I really gave up on a garden this year; too many other interferences, but I'll have a good chance to plan one over the winter. Then I only have to figure out how to get it done.

I have decided to stock up on sturdy plastic and solarize as much as I can. The garden is just too big to turn by hand, although I might pick up a small tiller at the end of the season.

Anyone else use a tiller, and have recommendations on which to consider? The yard now is overgrown with grass, but years ago it was tilled by Dad, and I double dug areas that were tilled. Now I have nonnative plants, lots of grass, and still some durable daylilies, but almost all of the irises and special plants I bought are gone.
(1)

Lots of frost this morning, I'm glad I brought most of my houseplants inside early this year. The weather network said we were getting a mild fall but it's actually like somebody pulled the plug on summer because ever since Sept 24 the temperatures have been below normal.
(2)

I planted a bunch of milkweed last year to attract monarch butterflies. Didn’t do much to attract them last year. This year I had a bunch more pods and today I had four monarch butterflies. I am going to order some more milkweed to plant. I reseeded a large section of lawn last year with clover. I have more honey bees this year.
(4)

GA,
Hoping you are soon up and gardening!
I have felt the need to prepare for winter, we still have a little time.

Looking forward to Spring! 🌱
(0)

GA, sorry to hear you are having health struggles, wishing you some sunnier days ahead!
I was just outside, September is just another month of summer here, hot and humid, looking at my limelight hydrangeas. They have such long lasting blooms and when it’s finally fall, the blooms turn a pretty golden brown. I’m looking forward to cooler temps next month and being able to plant snapdragons and pansies that will bloom all winter. To get spring tulips I buy a 50 count bag and let them have a nice 6 week winter in the fridge then plant them in January. They bloom beautifully in March but sadly never return and I’m way too lazy to dig them up and store them.
(0)

GA, hope you feel better and have continued improved health.

We are just getting into our gardening season and I am a happy camper. I am so over this heat. Looking forward to being outside without melting.

This summer was so hot that even my watermelon and cantaloupes didn't produce very well, not enough pollinators in the heat.
(0)

Even though it's still hot here, Fall is asserting its dominance and creating beautiful scenes in the highway medians and in the woods along the more rural areas. The colors are always so lovely, and so soothing. It's as if the trees are preparing for winter and encouraging us to do so as well.

I'm enjoying seeing the extensive hydrageas along my regular routes as some cling tenaciously to their summer colors, and others bow to the changing weather.

Gardening for me this year just didn't happen; too many health issues to even try. But there's always next year!
(5)

Be careful what you do in the garden.

The potatoes have eyes,
the corn has ears,
and the beanstalk.

🤣
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter