GardenArtist Posted September 2015

Gardening as therapy.

Follow

It's become clear to me through posts and PMs that there are some gardeners here just waiting for the chance to discuss gardening!

So, I was thinking... how do you use gardening, or how does it affect you if you need a break, need some respite, need to relax, need inspiration....how do you use it as a therapy tool in caregiving?

What are your activities: Do you go out and pull weeds, read a magazine, design new beds? Look through garden catalogues? Go to garden stores?
And what interests have you added to your gardening? Visit estate or garden displays? Do you go to garden shows?

Does anyone design and plant Knot Gardens? Raised bed planters? Assistive gardens? Pollinator gardens (and have you thought of ways to help the bees and butterflies?)

Are your gardens primarily for pleasure or food, or a mix of both? Do you grow plants for medicinal purposes? Which ones, how do you harvest and process them? Any suggestions?

Do you grow plants that can be used in crafts, such as grapevines for wreaths and lavender for lavender wands? Do you make herbal products such as creams, lotions, chapstick?

What else can you share about gardening and the means in which it nurtures your soul?

Comments

Show:
1 3 4 5
Becky04473 Jul 18, 2018
Finally got some rain and it has cooled off a little. Garden looks better. Watermelons are looking good.
(2)

Daughterof1930 Jul 17, 2018
Mid 90’s here with humidity so high it seems you can see the air, you definitely wear it. Ugh! No gardening happening, just hoping what’s planted hangs on
(0)

gladimhere Jul 17, 2018
75 degrees Fahrenheit. Here? 90's.

Lots of meadowlarks this.year. Do not remember having them last year.
(0)

cwillie Jul 17, 2018
We got a lovely 2 cm of rain yesterday - not enough but very welcome - and the high today is predicted to be a pleasant 24 ° C. Yay!
(0)

GardenArtist Jul 16, 2018
Well, I just lost a responsive post on crock-pots/cookers and BBQs. Must be the heat frying my brain again. I'll try later.
(2)

cwillie Jul 16, 2018
Big planters in the UK don't have to deal with Canadian winters CM, even here in the extreme south you can expect some very cold temps that in my experience make keeping things in planters over winter iffy.
(0)

Countrymouse Jul 16, 2018
You can get a blueberry bush to settle happily in a big planter, CW - it's recommended a lot here because they like a nice damp acid soil and not many bits of the UK have that. tum ti tum.... trying to remember which variety I had in my last house - not that we ever got many berries, not with the chickens and the squirrels arguing over them, but it was quite productive. It'll come to me.
(0)

cwillie Jul 16, 2018
I followed that link out of curiosity... the price explains why everyone would rather buy made in China.
(0)

cwillie Jul 16, 2018
I think small fruits are probably the most financially satisfying crops to grow in the home garden, veg in season can be picked up cheaply but strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc are always expensive, even at pick your own places. Too bad I'd have to fence my whole yard to accomplish it.
(0)

Countrymouse Jul 16, 2018
Here you go :)

http://usamadeproducts.biz/appliances-kitchen-appliances-slow-cookers.html
(1)

1 3 4 5

Related
Questions

Related
Articles