Follow

This morning on my newsfeed there was a link to AARP's list of resources for caregivers. I didn't want to click on it because I don't want to encourage AARP since I'm still so young and vital.

*eye roll*

It was one of the most comprehensive lists of resources I've come across and well worth a look. It was formatted so that it could be printed off and hung on the fridge.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
That's a brilliant site, thank you. Very interesting reading.
(1)

Eyerishlass, I did a quick check of the home page but didn't find a link. Do you have a URL, and if so, could you PM it to me? Thanks.
(0)

This is the first part of it. I'm still looking for all the phone numbers.

https://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_/articles/foundation/aa66r2_care.pdf
(0)

Phone numbers:

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/local/info-2017/important-resources-for-caregivers.html
(0)

These are all great.
Regarding having the conversation - my parents are both living and still driving and doing for themselves, but I anticipate problems within the next 5 years. My mother REFUSES to have the conversation about her wishes if/when they need help. One of my sisters lives about 40 miles away, I live 68 miles, and another sister lives 90 miles, so we cannot just zip there quickly.

I have tried numerous times to bring it up, usually when she has been talking about someone else she knows who has fallen, broken a hip, etc. The conversation frequently goes like this.

Me: So, have you given any thought as to what you will want or need if YOU take a tumble and break a bone or get very sick?

Mama: I'm not going to fall or get sick. (said in a sarcastic tone followed by a nervous laugh)

Me: Yeah. Seriously though, what is your plan?

Mama: I'm fit as a fiddle. I'm not even on ANY medication! (true about the meds, but she clearly has heart issues. She cannot even walk 1/4 mile without having to stop and rest. She is overweight and has leg pain and knee problems).

Me: What about your knee issues and your difficulty in walking?

Mama: I've been walking much better here lately! My knees hardly ever hurt! Hey, did you know there is a sale this week at Harvey's? Look here, they have ground beef for .50 per lb!

Me: I'm serious. We need to discuss this so that we will have a plan in place

Mama: Where are you going on vacation this summer? Is someone outside? I thought I heard a car. (she gets up and leaves the room)
(0)

Thanks, Eyerishlass. I've saved them and plan to check them out.

BTW, if anyone tries to copy them directly into an Excel database as I did, you'll get the FB link, which I can't post here b/c some of the characters aren't compatible with site parameters.

I have no idea why this happens. It also repeatedly crashed Excel.

Eyerishlass, do you sign in through FB? Maybe that's why the FB link comes up.

I had to copy the links into Word, then recopy into Excel. This isn't the first time I've gotten the FB links when copying and saving info or a post for future reference.
(0)

No, I didn't sign in through FB. The information was in an article on my MSN homepage. I clicked on it and saw the phone numbers and forms and such. I tried to copy the URL to post it here but it wouldn't let me. I then just went back and copied the URL from each pages and pasted it here.

I don't know if the difficulty was with AARP or AC but I didn't deal with FB at all.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter