Our parents are the most familiar people in the world, but sometimes they can be the most mysterious as well. Whether completing a family legacy project, or looking for conversation starters while providing daily care, it begs the question of how well we really know our elders? Who is Mom as a person? What was Dad like when he was growing up? What experiences most impacted their lives? What were their hopes, dreams and regrets?
As adults, it is easy to assume that we know everything about our parents or grandparents and have already heard all their stories. The truth is that many of us don't ask our elders nearly enough about their lives. There's no better way to become closer to a person, even if you've known them since you were born.
AgingCare.com has gathered a list of questions that our elder care experts and editors would most like to ask their own parents. Open up the conversation and see where it takes you. In the process, you might gain a new perspective on your elders and learn something about yourself.
Interview Questions for Elders
- In what ways do you think I'm like you? And not like you?
- Who is the person who influenced your life the most?
- Do you have a lost love?
- Which new technology have you found most helpful in your life? Which do you find to be the most annoying?
- Is there anything you have always wanted to tell me but never have?
- Is there anything you regret not having asked your parents?
- Do you wish anything had been different between us, or would you still like to change something?
- What was the happiest moment of your life?
- What are you most proud of?
- How did your experience in the military mold you as a person?
- What are the most important lessons you've learned in life?
- What is your earliest memory?
- Did you receive an allowance as a child? How much? Did you save your money or spend it?
- Who were your friends when you were growing up?
- What was your favorite thing to do for fun (movies, beach, etc.)?
- What was school like for you as a child? What were your best and worst subjects?
- What school activities and sports did you participate in?
- Do you remember any fads from your youth? Popular hairstyles? Clothing?
- What world events had the most impact on you?
- How would you like to be remembered?