10 Government Programs You Can Access for Your Elderly Parents


Caregiving for an aging parent may stretch your budget as well as your endurance. That is, if you aren't aware of scores of federal, state and even local government programs that can help you make ends meet.

Access to assistance is as close as your computer, and, in most cases, you can apply online. Start by visiting two sites:

Benefits.gov: Gather all the information you can relating to your elderly parent's health, disability, income, assets, military service, education level and more. Visit this site and answer every question as accurately as you can. After submitting your answers, the site will respond with a list of government programs, supplements and services, including details and eligibility information.

www.Benefitscheckup.org: This non-profit site run by the National Counctil on Aging will ask many of the same questions as the site above, but may report additional programs, details and contacts that may fit your situation.

Here is a guide to the top 10 programs everyone who is caring for an aging parent should know about.

1. Medicare

There is more to Medicare than just the Part A hospital and Part B medical insurance coverage. If your aging parent is 65 or older and collecting Social Security, their insurance premiums are deducted from monthly benefits. Part D prescription drug coverage is subsidized by Medicare through payments to private company insurers who then fund an average of 90 percent of the cost of prescription drugs. If your parent is considered low income and receiving only Social Security, Medicare may subsidize all but about $10 of the monthly premiums. This option may provide substantial cost savings for your parent.

2. Social Security

If your parent's Social Security benefits were earned based on lower-paying jobs, and if the benefits are their only source of income, there may be a larger monthly benefit available by applying for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. The program may be operated federally or in conjunction with your state government. The welfare-based Medicaid program is also administered through the Social Security Administration, though the operation may be directed by your state government.

3. Administration on Aging (AoA)

The AoA administers many national programs and services for elders, including health insurance counseling, legal assistance, protection from elder abuse and help with long-term care. The navigation bar on the home page has a link to Help and Resources, your starting point.

4. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

If your aging parent is a military veteran and has a service-related disability, you may be able to apply for an increase in benefits, particularly if the disability has worsened over time. If he or she needs continuing medical care because of the disability, an application for medical benefits, hospitalization and prescription drugs may be submitted. There are several types and levels of VA compensation and pension programs. The VA has been slow in processing claims the past few years, but there is continuing pressure by Congress and the Administration to speed up its service.


The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1966 provides your elderly parent privacy of his or her medical records. It is a regulation and restriction program on health care providers. The protection should be of concern to you and other family members because, unless your parent signs a form designating each of you as approved to discuss your medical concerns with the physician, he or she cannot do such, even if you prove your family connection. Better sooner than later, access the HIPAA website for the information and forms, or secure the forms from a physician, and file copies with every health care professional involved in your parent's care.

6. United States Department of Justice

If your parent has a disability, particularly with physical movement, learn about the Americans with Disabilities Act administered by the U.S. Department of Justice. Its ADA website offers briefings and cost-free publications on the regulations to grant universal access to the disabled.

7. Food and Drug Administration

Your aging parent is probably taking a few different prescription drugs, perhaps prescribed by different doctors. As caregiver, you should be aware of every one of the drugs, know its mission in the body and, particularly the side effects and conflicts with other medications. You want to watch for a danger known as polypharmacy. The federal Food and Drug Administration offers a giant database on every drug approved by the agency, listing active ingredients, purpose of the medication, dosing recommendations and the side effects and conflicts.

8. Your U.S. Senator

Every senator has a staff specialist on elder affairs, programs and services, probably in major cities of your state plus in Washington, D.C. The staff person can both advise and advocate for benefits or services for your parent. Know that bureaucrats listen immediately to an aide for a United States Senator.
www.senate.gov(Click the Senators link)

9. Your Congressional Representative

Most Representatives in the United States Congress also have staff specialists on elder affairs, programs and services and can provide both information and advocacy.
www.house.gov (Click the Representatives by State link)

10. Area Agency on Aging

There is a federally-mandated Area Agency on Aging in your county or city. This agency is staffed by professionals who are knowledgeable about elder programs and services, including available financial sources in your area. Staff is often aided by volunteers who serve as drivers for transport and Meals-on-Wheels, for respite services and other duties. Gather up the same information you collected for the two sites detailing the national, and even state, programs for which your parent may qualify and make an appointment to meet with a counselor at the Area Agency on Aging. The staff person can advise regarding programs and qualifications and even help prepare the necessary applications and documentation. Often, the counselor will even call a recommended agency, program or service to notify them that your application is headed their way. Access your Area Agency on Aging through your telephone book and call the office for an appointment, at which time you should also ask if they have a website that you can access in advance of an in-person visit.

In Summary

Using these resources, caregivers can gain access to a world of vital information as well as increased income and services for their aging parents. These programs can provide added support that may help reduce caregiver stress.

You May Also Like

Free AgingCare Guides

Get the latest care advice and articles delivered to your inbox!


I am caring for my aging disabled father in myhome and want to now if you can get compensated for it to cover some of the bills, we live in Phoenix, AZ. Ifanybody hasiany answers please let me know.
As a recent Retiree from the Navy I would like to add a few things about the VA:

1) If the person was released from the military for a Disability or Retired after 20 years of service, you will need thier DD 214 before contacting the VA Hospital for Medical appointments. If you don't have one, you can still contact them for a starting place to receive a replacement.

2) To increase the person's Disability Compensation you will need a Medical History from the time of departure to the present. You will also need the original Disability Rating Letter issued from the VA.

3) The biggest misconception is that a Disabled/Retired Millitary member has to go to a VA hospital to be seen!! This is not true, the person can sign up for TRICARE Prime and see a doctor that accepts TRICARE in thier home town. TRICARE has a list of approved doctors for your area. I pay $460 a year for a Family Plan that allows me to see a doctor who is only 5 miles from my home. If the person is on Medicare/Medicad the regular TRICARE will pick up all copays. Contact TRICARE and they will explain all of the details.

4) Most states now have a state sponsored Veteran Office that help Veterans and thier families through the paperwork process. A quick internet search or phone call to the VA should help you get in touch with the right people.

I am in no way affiliated with the VA or any other organization, just a retired Vet that is trying to help people get pointed in the right direction.

My grandmother is 88 and has recently come to live with my husband and me. She lived with my mother and step father, and one month after my mother passed away, my step father told her she had to leave. We had no choice to take her in because she had nowhere else to go. She has some money saved and receives social security, but we don't think she has enough to go into a community on her own. Where can we start to even begin to sort this out? She cannot stay with us given her age and the layout of our house, her forgetfulness to turn off burners while we are at work and locking herself in the garage. Your advice is appreciated.