Are aid and attendance benefits exempt from income tax?

Asked by

Answers 1 to 10 of 10
Expert Answer
3931 helpful answers
Please check with a CPA about this, as there are different rules in different states, and each circumstance is slightly different. You should have expert financial advice before deciding this.
Good luck - I hope so.
Expert Answer
17 helpful answers
The Aid and Attendance Benefit for our Veterans are received tax-free to the recipient. Veterans are elgibile if they served in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. For those wartime veterans who entered active duty starting September 8, 1980, the eligibilty requirements are a bit stricter. The Veteran must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. those in service from August 2, 1990 to present are also eligible for this benefit.

Those hoping to qualify can seek out free help through a regional, state or county-level Veterans office or go to Then click on locations and then click on State Veterans Affairs orrifces or Regional Benefit Offices. You can also email the Department of Veterans Affairs at or call them at
Expert Answer
390 helpful answers
All VA non-service connected pensions (Basic, Homebound, and Aid and Attendance) are deemed as income for federal and state income tax purposes.
The VA's Aid and Attendance Pension is "tax-free" income and is not included in returns. This is national and not state dependent.
The VA is not going to send out anything regarding this income as it is not taxable income.
Aid and Attendance are income based. If you have enough income to pay taxes you probably will not qualify for Aid and Attendance.
if i paid for my dads private nurses and aides-
it was out of a account with both my dad and my name on the account-
should this be included on his tax papers? or mine?
We have two conflicting opnions about Aid and Attendance benfits for VA recipients.
Have you received, or has the recipient received a 1099 on this benefit?
Ralph, you "misspoke" and I misspelled. Sorry.

No 1099, no reporting.
Yes as long as you do not have to fill out a return............otherwise I do not know.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support