What are some activity or game ideas for Alzheimer's Patient?

My mom-in-law has Alzheimer's & I need activities for her other than watching TV.
I cannot get her to do any games. She has no patience & the obvious understanding of them. I tried reading her a few passages in the Bible today & all she kept asking me was "When is he coming"..meaning her son (my husband).
She is obsessed with him and our day consists of talking about when he is coming & watching TV. I want to show her more enjoyment but am running out of ideas. She is very stubborn & set in her ways. How can I get her to to do other things in the house besides watching tv? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

22

Answers

1 2 3
Maybe since she is so obsessed with seeing her son, you could use him as a motivation. "Sonny will be here soon; let's _______ for him before he get's here. (Fill in the blank: make a salad, bake cookies, sweep the kitchen floor, make a craft, polish shoes, etc.)

Sorting/matching socks can be entertaining, especially if they are warm from the drier. (And there is no rule against throwing a few pair from the sock drawer into the drier!)

HI HUGS AND KISSES. I HAVE JUST BROUGHT MY STEP MOTHER HOME AFTER BEING IN A NURSING HOME FOR FIVE YEARS. I DIDN'T CATCH HOW LONG THAT YOUR MOTHER IN LAW HAS HAD HER ILLNESS. I BELIEVE TIME AND SURROUNDINGS HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH THE WAY THEY ACT. I BROUGHT HER HOME AGAINST ALL ADVICE FROM EVERYONE I TALKED TO INCLUDING MY OWN DOCTOR.. Now at the beginning she was a real pistol...She thought she worked at the nursing home and tried to help everyone but would sometimes hurt her own self...She was a very educated lady and so helpful and caring to all that needed her. The nursing home got so agitated with her ownership of the nursing home...LOL..they told me she needed to be put in the wing where the residence where locked in their rooms and confined...I was in the process of having her moved, but being a private pay patient at 4030.00 A month they left her where she was...I am sorry for such a long story, but my point is I really don't believe that I would have been able to handle her in the beginning. She is now such a true pleasure....She is on such a schedule...I am fortunate right now that she goes to the bathroom on her own, well I take her in the wheelchair and sometimes with the walker. She sleeps all night....Wakes up around 8:oo has breakfast then reads books and magazines til lunch. she eats takes a nap. I have to make her get up for dinner...I was so excited to bring her home, like you I am wanting to make her life exciting and just for her to be happy....Again I guess what I'M trying to say is that it may take time or maybe every person is different...I'll stop now. Good luck..God bless...

Something my mom enjoys doing is those "find the six differences" puzzles that are in the Sunday comics. She naturally, will say the same thing over and over, but it keeps her busy, albeit for a short time, but does enjoy. I can almost always get her to laugh when doing them. Just make sure they are the easy ones, some are too "busy" and she can't do those. Good luck.

My cousin found our grandmother's charm bracelet. She gave it to my mom and mom loved the way it made a soft sound like windchimes. Mom finds it soothing and tactile. She will hold it and enjoy it tactically for hours.

I visited my mom last weekend and the caregiver proudly shared the "pinch-pot" that mom made in the craft room with the art therapist! It made me think that play-dough or self hardening clay might be fun!

I would zoom in on some everyday activites that have a practical purpose, such as household tasks, light yard work, etc with verbal cues as needed. Lots of praise, too!Then, if she wants to relax in front of the tv, at least you know that she had some stimulating activities that were purposeful in short stints.Think about what she used to do in everyday life and scale it down some. Love your strong commitment to her happiness!

My mom has only the beginning of dementia, but she can play that kids Memory game. I only use half the usual number of cards. But she can beat me pretty much every time. If she has like to garden in the past, maybe you can get her to plant some things in pots. Mom likes to just go for a drive. Mom has lost the ability to speak, read, and write so finding activities for her is hard too. And then there is the rapidly fading eyesight. At this point she can still do jigsaw puzzles with large pieces. And I have found the magazines Country and Birds and Blooms good for her. Lots and lots of pictures.

Oh - a LARGE white board with odorless markers can be a fun thing especially in combination with a cork board. Run some cheap copies of movie poster pics or celebrities or whatever she had interest in and put those in a book. If she can read she might enjoy going through some of her old cookbooks as well.

Some things I did with Mom

Adult coloring books with a big box of crayons.
Dolls whose clothes she could change and hair she could 'fix'

Playing cards. we played Go Fish. She attempted solitaire (Mom was a big bridge player back in the day).

Also Dominos - but I had red and black and white and we would match color not numbers!

1 2 3