Do all siblings have a right to know what is in their Mother's legal documents regarding Power of Attorney?

Our younger sister is POA and all we know is 'documents' were signed and executed. We don't know if they are the original documents we saw in draft form or if they would have changed.

15

Answers

I am my mom's HCPOA..but here is the rub. Her documents state that she can be in charge of her own healthcare decisions unless she is unable to do so or CHOOSES not to do so. Here is the deal. Mom goes to ER with Pnumonia secondary to her pulmonary fibrosis...she has been having so much trouble for days. And on Monday we are in ER and she is cyanotic and hypoxic an of course not making sense.. I do my job and sign the paperwork..give all the correct info about all the meds she is on for bipolar and everything else...they admit her..they treat begin to treat her for .pnemonia..give her steroids..antibiotics..ect..she is more comfortable...then SHE starts telling the doctors what she wants when she wants it... and I have no say even though what she is saying isn't accurate or correct and she doesn't even know the meds she is on...she flip flops about what she wants...I know she is in denial about her physical decline and hospice was already being explored before the hospitalization.. but now unless she falls unconscious...I can't help her in anyway with regard to her medical decisions...because her o2 sats are fine and she "appears" to have all her faculties..truth is she gets confused if you ask questions and she cant repeat back what you just told her.
We are close and have had discussion after discussion in private and in front of her psychiatrist her legal and financial team..as well as they have shared with me that she has had conversations with them in private that match up with the conversations I have had with mom...not giving away any priviledged details.. just confirming with me that we are all on the same page and she has insisted I be at many of her meetings with her "legel and financial" team.. so that I know and am aware of the expenses and the costs of her care at home ect.

What do i do when she is seen as competant one minute to make her own health decisions and take in information and then...in 5 minutes it is obvious she is clueless?

I told her my hands were tied during this hospitalization since she took over making her own decisions...she says she wants to take it back...I don't know how to answer that...legally during this hospitalization..she really can't .give me back my HCPOA...according to the documents she signed...I am one of 3 of her children. I do everything for her or arrange for all to be done. I let my siblings know when something significant with her health occurs.. then they are all on the phone til she is fine and they disappear. I don't want to be her POA...but what good is being a HCPOA if I have all the responsibilities but no authority?

Mariesmom - good comments. Thanks.

Madge1 - your words are too true!

Boz, wonderful comments, especially about having a relationship with sibling after parent passes. My relationship with my brother and only sibling is ruined because of the way Mom has set up everything and his arrogance. We all were not that close to start with and now if I never heard from either of them I could be happy.

Parents need to think about what damage they do to their children when they play favorites. They should have a really good reason to exclude one child over the other, not some made up lie or silly story. Some people will say that it is the parents right to choose who they want and exclude who they want. True. But when you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences. Those consequences can be far reaching.

Your original question asks if "siblings have a RIGHT to know what is in their Mother's legal documents regarding Power of Attorney?"

It depends on how the POA is written.

I had my Mom's POA (she is now deceased) and it clearly stated that I was not required to account to anyone for anything.

While I did keep my siblings (who never visited or phoned the last 6 yrs of her life) abreast of major expenditures via emails they seldom responded to - I did this beause I wanted to, not because i was required to. (Also, they had the ability to oversee the checking account from which I withdrew funds as i provided them with the paswords for online banking. To my knowledge they never did)

A person should give POA to someone they trust to act in their best interest - as this person has the legal authority to conduct their business, finances, etc., on their behalf. Thus legally speaking, asking the POA to keep you informed of their actions is akin to asking Mom to tell you when she writes a check or buys a car. She isn't required to do that - and neither is the POA - at least in my case.

Now that Mom has passed and I am Executor of her estate, I am legally obligated to inform the other heirs (my brothers) of all expenditures. This I do with a monthly accounting via an emailed spreadsheet.

Good luck to you.

I agree that when papers are signed the best thing is to just have a meeting and tell everyone. Equally I understand that some parents will NOT advise what is in their will as they may change it and or it does not equally divide things and do NOT want their children to treat them based on what they will or will not get when they die.
I feel that it's up to the parents to share the documents and that no other child should share the info if the parents ask them not too.
Having said that I also believe that if parents are treating children unequally and without good cause and you know it (as their child) AND if you are to be the POA or trustee you can and SHOULD express your concerns and consider refusing to be teh POA or trustee. If there is good cause fine but then they should put the reasons to paper so that when the time comes the POA or trustee can share the logic as written by the parent(S).
If you are the POA then share with your parents that you want a relationship with your siblings when they are gone and how THEY handle these matters has long lasting impact. That you may need your siblings help to take care of them and if they resent how things are set up it probably will impact your ability to take care of them with family help.
Once you are the POA is in effect (parent unable to handle their own affairs) then I believe sharing the POA document and open comunication if the best policy. After the inital sharing the follow ups could be by e-mail. Anything to keep everyone informed and provide documents to assure them everything is on the up and up from day one.

there are 7 children grown and my father is 82 years old there is no pow can one just take over and do what he or she wants to do.

I feel that all three of us daughters should know what is in Mom's legal papers, in her accounts, account information and etc.... What if something unexpected happens to our sister who is POA and neither my older sister nor I know what to do?

I do believe all immediate family members should know what is in a parent's legal documents. However, I have yet to understand why my mother never told my step-dad about her living will or that she had given me durable and medical POA, and had stored her 1979 will in a lock box where she grew up until 5 years ago which I bet he has never seen. All of the above has made it tough on my relationship with my step-dad.

You are probably right, NoVoice. She probably has no idea that she has hurt you. Hurting you was not her intention at all. That should give you some comfort.