Polerbear, I have POA and MPOA from mom, plus guardianship by the State. I am suddenly the only next of kin since the death of my sibling. I asked my elder attorney to draw up paperwork. Mom's POA document also had a term of appointment of fiduciary. A good POA covers a lot of bases compared to a simple do it yourself.
The appointment of my husband plus another generation down (our daughter) now guarantees that the probate court would not have to appoint a stranger for her. She might need an appointment of a short term guardian ad litem but it will save a lot of legal fees down the road

Mom would need to assign someone else. If she has to be able to make that decision mentally. No Dementia or ALZ. If she suffers from either, that its guardianship and that cost money.

Snice I am the last person who can help my mom, I just went to a lawyer to appoint a successor, actually 2 people
polarbear May 15, 2019
MACinCT - How did you appoint a POA for your mom? Wasn't she supposed to do it and be able to consent and sign the POA form?
(0)
That's the reason the POA form asks for a backup POA.

If both die, then the principal won't have any POA.
Reply to polarbear