I'm sure the answers will run the gambit on this, but here goes.
Last Spring we hired a full time sitter (from a local franchise of a national company that supplies CNA types, etc. for seniors) for our dad in assisted living with dementia and declared incapable of handling his own affairs.
We paid for the first two weeks, which were covered fine. We were then asked to pay the next month in advance, although we said we didn't know if we would need someone that long. We were assured a reimbursement would be made if it came to that.
Sure enough, we only needed someone for two weeks so the company owed us over $3000 for the unused portion of our payment (my folks' payment, it's their money). The payment wasn't forthcoming and excuses were given. We were patient. Contacted Corp operations who reached out to the owner who then called and sounded as though he was ready to pay it back. Nothing happened soon. Eventually, we asked for a payment schedule to be set up and a payment was eventually made. The 2nd payment was not on time and only gotten after much interaction, but not threatening anything.
Now the struggle continues to get another payment. I have contacted the Corporate office of this national firm for the second time and they are going to contact the local franchise owner once again.
Our question is, what would be the next step if payments continue to be withheld and the Corp office does nothing about it? 1) Contact the State who is supposed to take care of its elderly citizens? 2) Pay a lawyer part of what we can recover so we at least get something? 3) Is the Corp office responsible to cover obligations of the franchise in cases like this? 4) Other suggestions?


Do you have a local consumer advocate that does a newspaper column or tv segment on these sorts of issues? If call them; I'd also get in touch by mail with your local concilmember/representative/senat-or and talk to the person in their office who deals with senior affairs. And the BBB to file a complaint.

CC this disreputable company on all your correspondence.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to BarbBrooklyn

I second the letter from an attorney. Actually, you can send a (registered) letter and inform them that they have 2 weeks to remit the balance in full or you will have your attorney contact them. This worked for me when I was rear-ended last April and the person who hit me wouldn’t return the calls or emails of her insurance company.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Ahmijoy

Not sure if the State gets involved with these agencies. You could start with the Office of the Aging in your county. Maybe Adult Protective Services. Did you have a contract where it says money will be refunded if not used. If those avenues don't work, maybe a letter from a lawyer would get them moving. If that doesn't work, then small claims court. No need for a lawyer there. Once, you do that, make sure you give them a bad review.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to JoAnn29

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter