I am power of attorney over my mothers money and home. Can I have her name removed from all her bank accounts since she is unable to do it? - AgingCare.com

I am power of attorney over my mothers money and home. Can I have her name removed from all her bank accounts since she is unable to do it?

She is in a nurshing home with long term dementia..she can't remember things and I need to down spend her bank accounts so that we can get her on Medicaid for long term stay. She doesn't have much but we need that for final bills and expencies after her death...she is 86 years old and it looks like she will have to have continual care...my name is on all accounts and the property and land is in my name also...all assests have my name on them...with her name...I need her name off so that we can switch to Medicaid in the near future..she is now on Medicare and has suppliment insurances but they will run out in a few weeks.

1

Answer

I would use some of her money to see an Elder Lawyer-he or she would be able to give you good clear advice on how to proceed and probably help you with the application for medicaide and would know the rules in your area and all about the lookback period and the social worker in the NH would be able to start medicaide pending work for medicaide.

• There are undeniable benefits to purchasing an annuity, but there are many different types. Careful planning and consideration are required to find one that is the best fit for your financial situation.
  • Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • Many common retirement myths are completely false and end up harming your financial situation. With proper planning, you can help your parents continue to create wealth until their retirement and beyond. Avoiding overly conservative financial decisions can truly pay off.
  • Numerous resources are available to educate a spouse or an aging loved one on the basics of personal finance, retirement planning, investing and more. In fact, some of these learning tools are both practical and enjoyable.
  • Bells are ringing all over town as charities ramp up appeals for holiday donations. Use these simple strategies to give confidently and maximize your charitable efforts this season.