I moved in with Dad, the condo goes to me. How long need I live here, caring for him to protect home from garnishment if goes in a home?

We are in California. The Attny drew up a Quit claim deed. I've been here 18 months, 24 hrs. a day with no help. This condo is my only hope of future security. I'm 54, and ddd in my back. He will have to spend down 13,000 + to qualify me to apply for payments from medicaid. Meanwhile, I have established legal residency in my Dad's place.

18

Answers

Thanks everyone all for your answers- It appears we've exhausted the topic!

Aw, Unicornfairy, thanks for the hugs, and right back atcha ... seriously, I love this story, and I know EXACTLY what you mean when you write that you "cherish that letter." Thank you so much for sharing ... I'm going to keep your Christmas letter (and the singing! Oh my gosh, the SINGING!) in a little corner of my mind, and draw on it -- like an extra-festive eggnog -- whenever I need a tiny bump of courage to stand my OWN ground in the face of spirit-crushing, heavy-handed, uncaring bureaucracy. You ROCK.

And that husband of yours sounds like an absolute gem, too. :-)

Unicornfairy, THANK YOU! I'm so grateful for the encouragement! We are having a good day today! I woke up with a sore back, but it eased a bit as I got moving, and I didn't need any pain meds. Just came back from a knit/crochet group. It's one thing that dad has allowed me to do by myself.... because he knows it's all women!
Thanks for listening; and lucky me, I'm starting to catch up on some rest.

DevotedtoDad - Thanks! And I am so glad your friend fought back and won her home. I understand that the government needs to recoup losses when possible, but the government also needs to take into account that in a lot of cases, family has done everything humanly possible and saved the government hundreds of thousands of dollars and all we ask for in return is to keep what little we have left. Kudos to your friend! And for you, GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR DAD. He is already blessed to have you and you will reap rewards in ways you can't begin to understand yet. You will also pay a huge price of giving up friend time, family time, hobby time, YOU TIME. Your back will be sore, your body and soul will weary and your will may crumble at times, but in the end, you will be amazed at what you managed to accomplish! And whatever you do, don't forget that you have friends here who have been there, done that, and are not only willing to help give advice and tips, but are here to "just listen" on those weary days!

Unikornfairy, You are my type of gal! Congratulations! In a different situation, involving another government low- income housing lender, my friend almost lost her house due to the xxx.01cent at the end of the dollar amount shown. They were trying to steal her house from her! Thank God she still has a home.
I am even more resolved to take this thing to the end with my dad.

And igloo572, you give some of the best advice out there!

Sorry, the above should have been to PaulaK not to igloo572.

igloo572 - that's exactly how I did it, on the mantel, amid the smaller Christmas presents, near the tree, IN MOM'S LIVING ROOM! We toasted that letter with eggnog and sang "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and "Here's A Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares", before breaking into the Christmas Carols! We would have sang "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor but we couldn't remember the words. You gotta love a husband that will let his mother-in-law rule his home for nearly ten years, sing and play guitar of her favorite song at her funeral and then cheer his grieving wife up with songs like this at Christmas. So, yeah, hard at the time, but now, I cherish that letter because it proves that I did indeed provide for Mom, put up with (and defeated) the government, and came out smiling and singing stupid songs to a framed letter. I highly recommend it!

Many hugs to you for all the great answers you've given folks on this site!

unikornfairy, I LOVE that you did that. I now have a mental image of the framed letter, sitting proudly on the mantel just above the Christmas stockings, the twinkling lights from the tree glinting festively off the frame. Thank you for the laugh (I know there was nothing funny about any of it to you at the time ...)!

igloo572, yes, the Federal site is useless, and it is because the states each have their own laws, but IN GENERAL, Texas most matches the states I have dealt with. I live in Tennessee and MERP is horrible! They are vile, cruel creatures that don't care what they say or do if it gets them access to your parents' estate. I know, I was treated so badly I went to our Governor and to my other representatives and got the "lady" I dealt with fired. Tennessee has a huge indigent population that puts a strain on the economy and thus MERP is tenacious in recovering anything they can. My Mom's house was only worth $60,000.00 and you'd have thought it was worth more than 1400 Pennsylvania Avenue in D.C. the way they went after it. Medicaid was out of pocket about $50,000.00 on my Mom because I kept her out of the nursing home and in my home for just short of ten years, saving Medicaid over $336,000.00. I threatened to sue Medicaid over Mom's house and hired an attorney. That's when the MERP temper tantrum began in earnest, them calling me every kind of lowlife scum the earth has ever seen. But, they withdrew their claim and I ended up getting to keep Mom's house. But just to show how upset they were, MERP wrote me the most scathing letter you can imagine to let me know how little they thought of me for fighting back. It arrived the day before Christmas Eve. I framed it.