Is there a program to train and financially support people caring for elderly parent full time?

Asked by

Does the state of Pa. have a training program for caregivers that pays a small salary?

Answers 1 to 10 of 11
Top Answer
The Alzheimer's Association has both online and classroom training classes (at least in Michigan). Check out I don't know of any program that would pay a salary. It would be very nice if there was such a program.
Your parent can use their funds to pay for their care; you should have a caregiving contract drawn up, perhaps by a lawyer and notarized.

If your parent is on Medicaid, some states allow for family caregivers to be paid. Check with your mother's Medicaid caseworker, if this is the case.
Ask your local Office for the Aging or Dept. of Social Services folks if PA has a Nursing Home Diversion Program like NY does. If you Mom qualifies for Medicaid you can get in-home paid staff for her care. There are ways (pooled trusts) to protect any excess income of her's for her own expenses. This won't pay you but it would give you your life back and let you use your income for your own needs.
Not that I know of, but look into Sr. Life based in Johnstown,Pa, They have a service that may help you
What about Ohio? Are you allowed to be reimbursed if you are a parent or a child of the client in Ohio?
I'm not sure, but that's an excellent question for your local Area Agency on Aging.

I believe some states do have programs that may provide some pay to family caregivers, but usually the senior has to be on Medicaid.
The question of getting paid to take care of your elderly parents is one that comes up consistently. My mother was a poor woman; therefore I would not take a nickel of her money to care for her when I was perfectly capable of supporting myself. As to a training program, I don't have the answer to that. If so, it would have to be so multifaceted, e.g. changing your parents' diaper, bathing them, etc.
I live in PA and I get paid to take care of my mom. Go to your local Department of Aging office and ask about the waiver program. The parent will need to qualify for Medicaid. If there are certain skills that need to be learned, such as giving an insulin shot or transferring from bed to wheelchair, you might be able to get a visit from a home care nurse for education.
Just: That's all well and good, but what about the parents who are not on Medicaid?
My mom wasn't on Medicaid when we applied. The person receiving the care does need to have resources low enough to qualify for Medicaid (though we were in the program for five years, sending in a yearly renewal and getting approved, before we learned about creative juggling of resources -- talk to an elder attorney!). The person also needs to have require care equal to that provided by a nursing home. Both my parents have dementia. My mom is a quadraplegic and needs help with everything; she qualifies. My dad needs help with meal prep and medicine but not bathing or dressing; he doesn't qualify.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support