I want to be a caregiver. What do I need to do? - AgingCare.com

I want to be a caregiver. What do I need to do?

It has been several years since actively worked as caregiver. I was certified in Michigan through Beaumont Hospital in 1999. I would like to start working in this field again. I need to know what steps are needed to get hired in Clearwater area and for an agency or self searching.

23

Answers

1 2 3
Send: Oh, no, so sorry to hear about Ladee. This proves just how hard caregiving is!

If your passion is for caregiving, then enroll into a registered nursing program - more money, more flexibility, more career options. There are so many caregiving agencies that don't require certification; caregivers are glorified babysitters to the elderly, sorry to sound harsh, but it's not a job that requires a bachelor's degree. Just Google "caregiving agency" in your home area. Call them up and tell them you're looking for work and your schedule - You'll get hired very, very soon. Local community colleges have certified nursing assistant programs; you could work as a caregiver during the day and go to school at night. After you get your CNA certificate, look for work in local hospitals so you can get retirement benefits and health insurance coverage; all caregiving agencies I've come across - DON'T provide benefits and pay you crap. If you want to work in crap everyday, you'll might as well try to get into a bigger organization, like a hospital, so you can get benefits.

Re-read the post on September 12th, by Ladee1. She has recently had a mild heart attack, which will assist her in meeting her goal of trying to get out of caregiving. That will be a huge deficit for her patients she has cared for.
(Sorry to offer your advice up as an example, Ladee, but the good-hearted suffer more with caregiving stress, and you are good-hearted). The original poster needs all the facts.

Then, if you have choices, and really thought about it, consider your physical health and stamina in the years to come. This is about15 years later for you since you had that career. You may have much more to offer in wisdom and experience now, but can your body keep up?
There are great rewards to caregiving when and if you are allowed to assist in making positive changes in another person's life. Those rewards are not financial, and not always acknowledged. Your ideals are to be commended, I sincerely hope that you can make it work.

See a psychiatrist and find out why you want such a thankless job.

I would definitely think of another profession. Maybe you have worked in day care? You will have to change diapers. Caregiving is not for the faint of heart!

think of another profession. Being a caregiver is a thankless, depressing job that will take your health if you let it.

Sendme you are too funny!

Take it slowly. Find senior citizens centers/residences close to your home and volunteer 2x a week. Or work part-time if you can afford it. I assume turnover rates in this field is high, so trust me: you won't be unemployed for long. Keep us posted.

Send::You had me cracking about the comedy lessons, but so true!

1 2 3