Is it appropriate that the nursing home requested a meeting with me but will not tell me what it is? - AgingCare.com

Is it appropriate that the nursing home requested a meeting with me but will not tell me what it is?

26

Answers

1 2 3
While it is important to be prepared for this meeting, it likely is a required Level of Care plan meeting they have on all patients. I've found they "the staff" become so busy, they forget the simple things (not that communicating with family should be considered a simple task). Anyway, you can always speak with the Administrator. Know that as a family you have rights. I would encourage you to connect with their Social Worker for guidance and details. Best Wishes!

Coach, I am so sorry that you feel that my message was a little over the top. I have dealt with hundreds of nursing homes over the past 20 years and there is a consistency. When you have this level of communication going on in a building, it starts at the top with the administrator. I look at each nursing home as a little kingdom, the administrator is the top dog- king or queen and the DON is the queen ( or prince or princess) . The rest of the staff are the serfs of the kingdom.

everyone responds and emulates the top. When I hear a problem like this, you can go to the administrator. Rest assured, whatever has been going on, has been discussed in many meetings. with many staff. So forgive me, if I seem to be too harsh on the nursing home staff- I know the workings and this is eventually the route anyone with a problem must take to get results.

I always recommend that the family get to know the administration really well first. But, this is a step that I would not hesitate to make in any facility, especially when and if I was blindsided by the team, unprepared. The nursing home industry is regulated more than NASA. they must report everything that happens to a resident to a family member.

Contact your local Area on Aging agency and ask to speak to the Ombudsmen program. They deal with issues related to yours.

dianecarbo is a little over the top. Before going to the Corporate hot lines or State Ombudsmans just try giving the facility Administrator a call. If he/she don't give you satisfaction THEN by all means call the hot lines or Ombudsman. Both will ask you if you have tried talking to the Administrator and if you haven't will suggest that you give that a try first. Good Luck

Gordon, I am confused. The facility has to have a conference , a meeting with the entire team, including the family every 90 days. So this is very disconcerting to me that the facility blindsided you like this.
there should be a resident and a family council group that meets on a regular basis.
If there is one thing that I cannot stress enough is how important it is for the family to get to know the administration and staff VERY WELL.

It is also important to know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If this is a large chain, I would call the national customer service hot line with your concerns. If it is a small chain, contact the president of the organization with your concerns.
if it is a family run business or religious organization- go to the head of the organization.
when is doubt, always get the state ombudsman involved. They HATE that. But it sure gets their attention. that, my friend, is the squeaky wheel getting the grease.

They want to have a meeting with family, to tell you whats going on with your family member.

unfortunatley not in my area its been two days I have yet to have any one call me the last time she couldn't even remember my name or the DON's name

There is the Ombudsman agency that you can contact about long term care facilities - here is a link : http://www.ltcombudsman.org/ombudsman and here is a link for more info on how to deal with long term care facilities. Believe me homes do not like for you to know very much ...I know of this due to working so long in facilities for the elderly. The Ombudsmen do listen...believe me.
Good luck !!

There is someone who can help you , they are called Obudsman (spelling I don't know). Call your Social Services they can tell you. They called me and my sisters to the home to talk about our mom and it ended up concerning her difficulties she was being there to the staff, (like she would take her clothes off and they would find her buck naked) but at 97 years she did not know what she was doing. They suggested we send her to Butner to a home for uncontrollable patients but I said a definite NO WE WILL NOT because i had heard of the treatment they received there, so they dropped the idea, and never called us back in. I or one of my other sisters were there most every day to see that they treated mom right. so don't let them pull anything on you. God bless and good luck.

All states have organizations to help family members in such cases. The nursing home should have provided this information to you upon admission and also should have this information posted in the home. It is a federal requirement for all facilities who receive medicare and medicaid funding. As for why they are having the meeting, I would suggest you contact the facility Social Services department. If the can't give you an answer call the administrator. Good Luck

1 2 3