They are 29 and 27 yrs old.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
This is a difficult situation. I am sure she is reluctant to give up control due to feeling obligated as a mother and fear of the unknown. I had a neighbor who was totally irrational when it came to her disabled son.

She would even claim that God was going to allow her to live forever because he needed her. It was sad. This was a very educated woman who simply lost it after years of caring for her son without any time for herself. He couldn’t be left alone. He had the mental function of a 3 or 4 year old.

You don’t say what their situation is. Are you working now? Can they be left alone? Who will care for them while you work? There are so many things to consider.

Is she collecting a check for them? Do they have jobs? I know disabled people who hold down jobs. Are you able to support them?

Does she have health issues, mentally or physically?

Can you fill in the blanks for us please?

Best wishes to you and your family.
Helpful Answer (0)

You seemed to have fallen thru the cracks.

I doubt at your age that you are willing to care for 2 challenged adults. Maybe its gotten too much for Mom. This has been a lifetime obligation. I think the first thing to do is find services for your brothers.

Do they receive Social Security disability? If so then they have Medicaid and Medicare? Do they receive services thru the county or State? Getting guardianship is going to cost u big time and its a lifetime commitment. You cannot just revoke it, u need to go thru the courts.

You can call Adult Protection Services to investigate. Me, I would allow the state to take over. They can get them help faster than u can. Also, if something happens to you, your brothers will be seen after.
Helpful Answer (0)

How old is your mother? Does she have mental health issues or dementia? You don't say what state you and your brothers are in...but will probably need to pursue guardianship. Or, you can have the county take guardianship and they will get the care they need and you will be able to visit them and more. Again, it depends on what state/county they reside in and whether you think it is wise to be a full-time caregiver to them. Maybe consult an attorney for solid answers.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter