MD hearing aids--good or junk?

My mother has been finally been diagnosed with hearing loss and the doctor recommended hearing aids at $4,000 a pair. OUCH! We've seen ads in magazines for MD Hearing Aid Air, which are touted to work great and cost less than $1,000.

We've looked online for reviews and haven't found any that aren't glowing with compliments about how great they work.

Has anyone had any experience with these hearing aids? Do they really work as well as everyone says they do?

Thanks for your help.

25

Answers

1 2 3
Beware sellers tying to pawn off PSAPs (personal sound amplifiers) as hearing aids! It's against the law to do so, but places still manage to swindle people. I can't speak for MD Hearing, as the previous comments do mention that your experience may be mixed, but definitely know the difference! saywhathearing.com/en/videos/fact-or-fiction/episode-17

Bought the MD Airs after trying the $6000 pr Oticons for 120 days. While not as fancy, the MD hearing aids had better sound quality than the expensive ones. The plastic casing has started to crack where tubing is attached, (they are now 2and a half years old). I phoned their support number and was ready to order a replacement at full price. The lady said I could return them ( one at a time suggested) and pay $69. to get a brand new replacement. These people are life savers !!! I had a Dr. of Audiology re-test my hearing lately and he was curious about the MDs and asked if he could test them. He said they were so close to perfect for my hearing loss that it was really not possible to get much better. He sells the high end stuff and said he would consider buying these for some clients who simply cannot afford the expensive ones.

brad, I have to side with the audiologist here. I also know my mother well enough to know that she wouldn't be able to deal with the hearing aids. She also wouldn't like them after a time or two and set them aside, saying they made things sound funny. I know her that well. I can already predict that they would be money wasted. :)

Jessibelle,,,,,so what audiologist told you that they wouldn't help. All hearing loss is neural related, but that doesn't mean that hearing aids won't help. Implants are only for those whose auditory nerves are dead. Implants are the last resort b/c the nerves are cut from the cochlea. If your mom is asking for them, you should go get a second opinion. Now, b/c she has dementia, special care is needed with her and aids. A competent audiologist will determine if she can benefit from amplification and will provide the guidance and care your mother needs in order to benefit you and create a better quality of life for your mother.

I have a light to moderate hearing loss. Basically the MD hearing aids work reasonably well considering my problem. Perhaps someone with a more severe problem needs a more specialized approach. However for now I'll stick with the MD product even though there are some problems with them such as sticky volume control Etc.

MD recalled my Volt hearing aids almost a month now. I have been promised 3 times that I will receive upgraded hearing aids when they receive mine back . That the return shipping label was in the mail. That's been a month now. They have my money and I can't hear my doctors or my family and friends.

Have used The MD Aire and Pro both for several years. The new Aire is ok but has what I can best describe as a "sticky volume control". With issues in the past MD has been easy to deal with. At one time their policy was to charge a $50 service fee if you sent them a defective out of warranty unit. They would replace it with a refurbished unit. They provided quick turn around service. I recommended MD to several friends who so far seem happy.

I purchased a set of MDHearing Aids, and they did help, but they were not near the quality of a pair of more expensive hearing aids I later purchased from America Hears. The MDHearing Aids came with a whole package of spare tubes, but when I tired to use one, I found they were not designed to fit the hearing aid that they came with. I would not purchase again.

My mother (age 68), niece (age 8) and I (age 44) have hearing aids. My niece got hers from the dr, however, her father is military and so they didn't have to pay for them (they cost about $6k). I got mine from a company recommended by my health insurance company & they were covered by insurance, if I had paid for them they would have been about $2k. My mom, who had to pay for her hearing aid (she only needed 1) went to Costco, cost was under $1k including the hearing exam and adjusting it to her needs. She shopped around for who offered the best deal - and could have spent over $2k to get it from her ENT dr. I would recommend going to somewhere like Costco, as you need to have them adjusted for the person using the hearing aid. I definitely wouldn't buy something like hearing aids thru the mail, would you buy eyeglasses without an exam and having them fit to you. Hearing loss isn't just solved by turning up the volume just as sight loss can't be solved by using a magnifying glass.

lovetoplay, I know you did go to an audiologist, so the answer wasn't directed at you.

1 2 3