My mother passed away in March. I have been trying to donate a hospital bed, but have had no takers. I called the county Department of Aging, the Salvation Army, Goodwill, hospice care, and other charities. I put the bed on Facebook Marketplace and had no interest. I really thought that there would be an interest in a good hospital bed. I checked Craig's List and eBay and they also sell and ship hospital beds. I would prefer for the interested person to pick up the bed. Has anyone had any experience with donating a hospital bed?

I would suggest your local Area Agency on Aging who work with the elderly and disabled. It’s kind of you to pass this on. Also I would call local Home Health Agencies. That’s where I got my air mattress.
Reply to RebeccaPayne

Some places don't take a mattress for sanitary reasons. If you have curb side trash/recycle p/u you could place it at the curb. You could also place it as a free item on apps like Nextdoor including the bed frame.
Reply to Llamalover47

In my city American Legion has a room of used medical equipment that they loan. They will take the bed frame but not the mattress. That has to be thrown away.
Reply to caringone

I got a hospital bed for my friend when he went into AL Memory Care from Medicare. After a year or so he owned it. When he went into Skilled Care they provided their own beds so I had to get rid of it. Fortunately I had a friend who was in need of one. Sad part is Medicare nor the Company we got the bed from would take it back. Funny thing is it was a used bed to begin with. You could tell from all the scratches and markings and poor mattress quality it wasn’t brand new. So how that happens is sure a mystery since they don’t take back beds. When my friend passed away her family ended up throwing it in the garbage since they couldn’t find any takers.
Reply to Barb53

I donated mine to Project C.U.R.E., which provides medical supplies and equipment to needy people in the U.S. and around the world. I had to get it transported there. They have several locations around the country which can be found by searching for them online.
Reply to sonofbalto

In our area UCP accepts these types of donations and lends them out to anyone in need.
Reply to EllensOnly

I’m really surprised there’s no interest. Perhaps try a few apps - letgo or Nextdoor & state pickup only. You can also try calling a few local rehabs or hospitals & see if any discharged patients might need it. Ask for a social worker or case worker. Very sorry for your loss.
Reply to roseTerrace

I’m so sorry for your loss. Just so you are aware, eBay and Craigslist don’t actually anything. Craigslist is basically classified ads just like a newspaper. eBay is a marketplace, eBay itself doesn’t list and sell anything. You should put the bed on Craigslist, there will be no shipping involved. The buyer will come pick it up.
Reply to worriedinCali

I was wondering what to do with mom’s stuff later too. Not a bed but other things, walker, bedside commode, her hearing aid, etc.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom
Labmom May 20, 2019
You can also donate to a hospice thrift store. That's what I have planned for my mom's things. I have also bought items there, so thankful things I needed I've found & very reasonable priced.
(4)
The concerns would be the mattress. In my state you cannot sell used mattresses. But the bed itself can be cleaned with bleach water. There is also a cleaner used by EMTs to clean up ambulances. I used this when I cleaned up equipment at the VNA I worked for.

Was the bed purchased thru Medicare. If so, it may be rented and needs to be returned to where u purchased it. Call them.

Most Homecare agencies have their own suppliers. They set up and take down. Do you have a Rotary, a Lions Club, Ruritan?

Im so sorry for your loss. There may be concerns about disease, stains an/or bed bugs hence the hesitation
Reply to shad250

Hi Demsress, I’m sorry about your Moms passing. Try contacting PT or OT Agency. Since these folks are in homes, they know who is in need and would benefit. That is how my Mom got a slide shower chair. Through OT knowing what patients needed and what patients had. Good luck.
Reply to Sweetstuff

Some hospitals operate resale shops. Try that option.
Reply to anonymous903302

Try contacting VFW posts in your area. They may know of a veteran in need. Or, call your local Area Agency on Aging. I know that in my city, there is an organization that collects DME, cleans and fixes it up and then loans it out at no charge.

I'm also surprised given the need for durable medical equipment. Salvation Army has an ad that specifically asks for hospital beds so their refusal is rather shocking.

How old is it? We rented my MIL's hospital bed. Are you sure yours was purchased? I ask only because I thought FIL bought it but it turned out to be rented.

I had no problem donating MIL's other DME and supplies. Have you already donated other DME and supplies? If not, treat it as a package deal i.e. if they want the supplies and DME they also have to take the bed.

If it's just the bed, what comes to mind is calling houses of worship in your area, and asking them if they have someone in need of a good hospital bed.
Reply to NYDaughterInLaw
demstress May 19, 2019
Dear NYDaughterInLaw,
That is surprising that Salvation Army accepts durable medical equipment. I called the local chapter in Washington, D.C. and they told me that they don't accept hospital beds. I know they usually just have one driver and any donations must be handled by one person. Maybe a bed is too heavy for one person to handle.
I purchased the hospital bed for my mother two years ago. I'll try your suggestion of calling houses of worship. Thank you!
(3)