What's the best, basic CD player for dementia patient?

I have searched for months and can't fine a portable CD player that I think my LO who has significant dementia can operate. She can barely operate a very basic tv remote. I know she will get confused and frustrated with most CD players that have various options. Even those for children, seem to complicated. I have been looking mainly at those for kids. Do you think she would be embarrassed to be seen with that kind at the ALF?

I find it odd that no company seems to have addressed this need. I want just a portable CD player with on/on, play, ff and repeat. I'm not sure why that isn't available anywhere.

15

Answers

Aw that is such a shame for your cousin. I have the silver cd player right by my Dads corded phone. When I telephone him I say look at the silver machine next to this phone and where it says play just push that button. It works most days until I get to his flat. He has no interest in TV anymore only music so it is important to him.

That sounds great Lorraine. My cousin wasn't able to follow those kinds of directions. I wish she could, as she loves music. I have to rely on the facility to put music on for her.

I bought my father (who is 85 and has dementia) an Alba CD player with radio in silver from Argos. Then I cut out small bits of paper with PLAY AND STOP on and stuck them right next to the corresponding buttons with an arrow pointing to them and covered the rest up. It worked great.

That Bose sounds like a winner. I think that the stage the dementia patient is in impacts what devices they are able to use and enjoy.

I actually started this thread last year around this time. I ended up getting my cousin that Sony Walkman and she enjoyed it for a couple of weeks. Then she took a downward turn. We had to place her in a Secure Memory Care facility and she never was able to use the Walkman. The Walkman was lost during her move.

She isn't able to handle anything like that now, however, for her birthday next week, I'm getting her a regular radio to go on her nightstand. I'm going to see if one of the staff at her memory care unit will turn it on in the morning and out at bedtime. I know she will enjoy the music, but she doesn't have the ability to remember what to do with a radio.

i'm thinking about the Bose soundwave iii for someone i love with Alz. just put cd in the slot and it goes. music turns off when you touch anywhere on the unit, turns back on when you touch anywhere on the unit a second time.

Ginach,
The Lakeshore suggestion was perfect. They have the most basic CD player I've found. OMG. I'm so excited. I may just go with it before Christmas. I think she can operate that one.

Thank you all for such great suggestions. I will check them out.

For right now, I decided to go with something very simple for my cousin who's in AL. I got her a Sony Walkman Radio. It's old style and has just on/off, station dial and vol. It's lightweight and she can clip it on her waistband and use it as she sits on the patio or in the visitor rooms. We'll see how that goes.

For Christmas, I'll revisit the CD player idea or even better a DVD player. She can't follow movies, but I think she would enjoy concerts of her favorite artists on DVD.

My son has autism and needs a basic CD player. We have used one from Lakeshore the educational store. They also have a catalog and website. The CD player is meant to be used in the classroom so it is sturdy and a basic brown and black design. The buttons are large and easy to handle.

That CD players is only available used. My kids have a Sylvania Portable CD Boombox with FM Radio (Black) which is only $25 and works fine, simple controls too. You can write the symbols on the top in a silver sharpie if they are not big enough to see just on the buttons.

Musicandmemory.org uses ipods and earphones to reach dementia patients who are no longer communicating with the outside world. They have a documentary trailer on their site which is really exciting to watch!

Check amazon for: Sony CD Boombox with Digital AM/FM Tuner (Red)