If an elderly person cannot find the bathroom in a small 1 bdrm apt on visits each Sunday, does that sound like he is incompetent?

First, wife said Dad had Alzheimer's and that she couldn't leave him home alone anymore because he would wander off or let just anyone into the house. While his wife was at work, he would come to my apartment every Sunday and stay for about 6-8 hours each time. Each time he came over he had to ask me where the bathroom was located. Then he was put in adult daycare, and in Jan 2017 he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. Does that sound like someone competent enough to enter into contracts?

4

Answers

If he can't find the bathroom in a place he visits weekly, I would say there is something wrong. Parkinsons an Dementia go hand in hand. No, I would question him signing anything legal.

My FIL had Parkinson’s for years and successfully ran a family business before he contracted dementia and was no longer able to work. Just because he goes to adult daycare doesn’t mean he’s mentally incompetent. It just means that someone cares enough about him to want him to be safe and have social interactions. People with PD tend to fall. A lot.

And, I know from experience that even small apartments can be confusing. Doorways, and maybe a hallway with more doors. If I have “to go”, at my age, I want to know exactly which door to open. Short term memory loss doesn’t mean incompetence.

That does sound like someone who could still be legally competent. Legally, a person is considered to be competent until a court has determined they are not competent. Many people in the early stages of Alzheimer's are still legally competent.

If you think he needs protection from entering into contracts, you might ask his doctor to evaluate his competency. Most doctors have forms for that. It might be a useful document to have if he enters into a contract that the family is concerned he may not have fully understood.
Reply to Marcia7321

What kind of contract are you proposing he sign? Generally the person only has to demonstrate that they understand what they are signing at the time. Before preparing any documents a good lawyer will want to speak with the person privately to satisfy themselves that everything is understood and there is no undue influence.