A woman took guardian ship of my step mother when her and my father separated for a couple months. Both are elderly. She moved back in bc the home she was sent to was not taking proper care of her. This woman still has guardianship over her. My father had a stroke and got put in the hospital. His wife is not able to handle paying the bills, so this guardian is trying to get power of attorney over my father as well. His wife told the guardian she just wants the guardian to help with taking their money and paying the bills only. This guardian has not bothered to contact me at all. I do live in another state, but feel I should have been contacted before all this took place. what can I do because this woman has or is taking charge. My father is not able to make any choices for his self as of yet, but is expected to recover and be fine.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Daughter, does this woman have your contact information? Do you know anything about her?

She might be a sweetheart with the sincerest of motives. She might have seen seniors needing help but no one there to step in and help, not even bill paying. Which can be done from another state, with simple phone contact and some personal info.

Or, she could be an opportunist and sees an easy score. Do your parents have considerable assets?

CAN she do it? 
I don't know, but she is. 
Should she have asked you first? Maybe, maybe not.

All this is just speculative dancing.

I would be making plans to get to my parents ASAP. Waiting for dad's " expected" recovery is taking a real chance with their, health, well being, care and finances. Don't drop the ball here. You might wait to long and miss the boat. Your parents would be the ones who suffer because of it.

They need help right now. If your really concerned, get there. If you can live with what just might happen to them, keep asking random people what they think, from the comfort's of your home, states away.

The ball is in your court. But remember, if this woman is a taking, or going to take advantage of them, recovering the money may take years of litigation. With no guarantee of getting anything back. What happens to your parents in the final years of their lives then?
Helpful Answer (0)

We'd have to know the details behind this to make meaningful comments. Why does step-mom have a guardian?

Are you your Dad's POA? If so, did the guardian know that? If you are not POA, do you know who is, if anyone?

When did Dad have the stroke?
Helpful Answer (2)

daughterdebra55, only your step-mom and your Dad can appoint someone to be their Power of Attorney. If neither is of clear mind, then that cannot be done, which probably explains why your step-mom has someone as her Guardian. Do you know who is this woman? A friend or family member? Someone that the State appointed?

There needs to be a back story here, as Guardianship usually doesn't happen if there are still family members, such as yourself, available.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter