I am 93 years old and I have Medicaid and food stamps.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
You won’t lose your Medicaid, it’s based on your income not hers. But your food stamp eligibility may be affected—you should contact your caseworker to determine if you would lose some or all of your food stamps.
Helpful Answer (8)

This question is entirely too complicated for anyone on this forum to answer. Get in touch with your caseworker who knows the basis of your eligibility before you moved in with your daughter. Eligibility requirements, income limits and services are different for every program and category of eligibility, including SNAP, SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, OSS, etc. in kind contributions do effect Medicaid eligibility.
Helpful Answer (7)
Jmharris05 Aug 2020
You are correct. Each state is different, it is best to contact the office for the best info.
See 1 more reply
Just be very careful to not co-mingle any funds, like a checking account if she is joint on yours. You should probably get everything in writing, like a rent agreement and any caregiving that she may provide for you. If you were paying rent or mortgage before and then after the move don't have anything to pay, it may impact qualification. Do not gift her any money, make sure you pay for your own expenses (like food).
Helpful Answer (6)

My nephew was on Medicaid when he lived with Mom. When he received his yearly paperwork there was an application for food stamps. The application said that everyone in the household had to be eligible for foodstamps. My Mom wasn't so he would not be either.

Worried is correct in that Medicaid goes by your income. And yes, you need to call your caseworker and inform them of change of address. Food stamps are usually a Social Service thing (in the same building where I live)so u need to talk to them.
Helpful Answer (5)

It will depend on the state where you live. Please look online or contact your nearest state Social Security office.
Helpful Answer (4)

No it does not affect your Medicaid or food stamps. They still only go by your income unless you have a home & sell it...that’s a whole different situation.
My Mom moved in with me & she receives SS. All information is based solely on your financial. They do not combine financials...they shouldn’t!
She pays me a rental fee, to help cover bills so she doesn’t have an excess of money sitting in her account.
She still receives her food stamps.
We are in Colorado.
Helpful Answer (3)
JoAnn29 Aug 2020
Food stamps are effected. The whole household is considered.
Medicaid and Snap Food stamps are two different benefit programs. If you are under full Medicaid coverage you only as an INDIVIDUAL have income and asset limits. Likewise for Snap Food stamps, however, this benefit may be subject to HOUSEHOLD (You plus your daughter.) Income limits. Two different kind of limits and eligibility. You need to check your State’s eligibility requirements. You can usually do this online before you talk to their DHS representative. There have been cuts in the Snap Food stamps program, you might just be better off dropping it if your daughter is working.
Helpful Answer (3)
my2cents Aug 2020
Food stamps do not always include all of the people or all of the income in a household. There is a question, do you purchase and prepare your food together. The group of people (related or not) who purchase and prepare together will be on the same Food Stamp case with number of people and their total income counted.

If you get Medicaid and SSI (based on having little to no earnings in your life
See 5 more replies
Imho, your Medicaid status will probably not be affected, but you should be careful not to commingle your monies.
On your Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, that MAY be affected depending on your state and how you consume foodstuffs with your daughter/household.
Helpful Answer (2)
Jean1808 Aug 2020
Good point. You need to show your bank accounts to department of social services. So no joint accounts of anything. Also keep records if you pay rent to your daughter or provide any utility etc. payments. That's more drawing you down financially.
OP - is this Medicaid for insurance or for housing? If it is only for supplemental insurance, it should probably be okay. Food stamps - no clue, have never had to use them, thankfully!

As others said, keep your expenses separate, keep track of expense and check with the people/organization that set you up with Medicaid and food stamps. They would know best, esp since it can vary a lot from one state to another!
Helpful Answer (1)

Medicaid and food stamps are under the County Department of Social Services in my area, and both have different maximums with regard to income.

Because you have Medicaid here you would be entitled to in home supportive services from the County, and if your daughter were approved and certified through county ihss, she could get paid about $11 per hour to care for you.

In the meantime, the question is better, "so what if you lose Medicaid and food stamps?" If the answer is, without that you will have no means of affording health insurance and food, including any help you could receive from your daughter or other family, then the answer is simple. You need to be treated as an individual household regardless of whose roof you live under. Your county worker assigned to your benefits case(s) should be able to easily notate that for you. They should understand.

Also ensure that even after moving in with your daughter that you seek out senior meals on wheels and any other assistance in the area. It will help.

Back to your Medicaid and food stamps and your designation as a household of 1 person after the move, it can mean an in person meeting which with covid and your age could be impossible, but county case workers understand this too.

I would think you have nothing to worry about. Just some information to provide.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter