I am confused about what to do with my dementia father?


My father had problem of speaking he wasn't able to speak we went to doctors and in the MRI nothing related to dementia came. Last 8 months has been tough for us. He was diagnosed with Cognitive depression and now doctor has said it has shifted to Alzheimer's. He can't tell he is hungry or not. He just has 2 moods happy or sad nothing in between. In the past week he has started to poop and pee in his pants. I know this is the last stage of Alzheimer's but that early in just 8 months? We have to spoon feed him and his sleeping patterns are not in order. I am really worried I don't know what to do. How much time does he have? What can I do to help my father?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


My Dementia 90 yr old Father, who I'm a full-time caregiver for, will always say he's not hungry. When I put food in front of him, he always eats ALL of it. We do oatmeal/toast for most breakfasts, snack, then lunch, then a snack before dinner.
He will Always say he doesn't want a snack, or dinner, or desert,… and he ALWAYS eats every meal. Good that I don't listen to him or he'd starve.
He's gained weight since he's been with me for the last year, and I'm proud of it.
Keep food out and eat meals with him is my experience.
Helpful Answer (1)

My Father is 89 with dementia. Even though he can bathe, use the restroom and feed himself… it's hard not getting depressed myself. I have to remind myself that I'm doing my best.
Keep music around. Whether it's a radio, stereo or singing. Bright colors are also nice. Stay positive and find relief where it's available.
Helpful Answer (2)

The rapid decline is not typical of Alzheimer's disease. I have no idea what cognitive depression might be, are you sure you have that right? What kind of doctor have you been seeing? I'm not sure your doctor has a handle on what is going on or how they came up with ALZ if the MRI showed no brain changes. Have your father seen by someone specializing in geriatrics and dementia, perhaps a geriatric psychiatrist.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.