How long does it take to get VA benefits after you mail in all the paperwork?

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
ash5748, was it a VA doctor?

We applied last May... VA refused because the Doctor didn't properly fill out the form. Denial came about 2 months after we filed. We appealed & I filled it out & had the doctor sign it. They haven't denied it but they haven't approved it either. We only have a confirmation it's be received. Our contact said it could take from 3 to 12 months. I imagine when I hear the VA is broke that they're just holding off in granting approvals.

Don't pay someone to do the paperwork for you. I completed the forms for my dad and sent the docs to VA. I was told to write the applicants age on the outside of the envelope and the elderly veterans would get priority. I did this and dad received his first Aid and Attendance deposit approx. 3 months later. Go ahead and file even if you don't have all documents yet. The pay will be retroactive from day application was received.

I worked with a man from the VFW to file my mother's claim. I had researched before I contacted him and had all of the required paperwork on hand. I signed a form to allow a third party to advocate for me (VFW) and my claim went to my area (Baltimore) office where they check ove my forms and sent them on to my regional VA office. I was told that it would take 4 months before I would hear back. I called the AZ office of VA in April because near the end of the day 3 times zones are closed and the wait on the line is minimal. The lady there brought up my claim only to say that nothing had been done since Sept.! She got the ball rolling.I got my claimed returned to me because I had put N/A instead of 0's for some blanks. I made the corrections and faxed the forms back to them. 3 weeks later in May a another lady called and told me that my mother was qualified for the maximum monthly amount. The first direct deposit started in July. In order to receive the back benefits from the date we first applied we had to meet with a field officer to decide if I was to be the fiduciary for my mother's account. I was advised to set up a separate checking account for VA money only so that when I have to show how the money is spent will be easy, all of the money will be going towards mom's monthly care at the memory care home. Come Jan 2016 everything should be running ok. Total time from submitting Aug. 2014 to Jan. 2016. Does not include the months it took to get copies of discharge papers, marriage license, death certificates, banking information.

Below is copy taken from www.va.gov, just to clarify a misconception regarding paying a VA Attorney or VA Accredited Agent:

An exception applies when an accredited attorney or claims agent receives a fee or salary from a disinterested third party. A third party is disinterested only if the entity or individual would not benefit financially from the successful outcome of the claim.

The above copy means a son or daughter, friend or neighbor can pay for a veteran's application Many find this to be a valuable service when dealing with a crisis and the multiple issues involved when trying to find a safe living environment for a loved one. The attorney or agent can file a fully-developed claim for the veteran and benefits are frequently award much more quickly than someone filing with the informal claim process on their own behalf. Yes, there are services that use free Aid and Attendance application filing as a hook to access moving assets for a commission, i.e. trusts, annuities and estate planning. This is a huge disservice if the vet eventually needs to be on a waiver program for their care. There are ethical firms that just charge a flat fee for the application and may get the benefit awarded significantly faster than pursuing it through a county or state service officer. This could mean less brain damage for whoever's filing the application and more money in the applicants pocket.

We applied for my father-in-law and mailed it registered mail. The date stamp is Sept. 16. On Friday, Dec. 11 we received a letter in the mail, stating he'd been approved. We had requested his application be expedited because he was 92. Yes, we received the letter Friday and he died two days ago.

Again, you should never pay anyone for this service! Be careful.

For my mother, it took us two years of paperwork and waiting, more proving, more waiting, more bank account shrinking, and finally all the ducks were in a row. Then it only took another two months after filing. They sent a check for those two months and now the monthly benefit. We had the Mason's volunteer organization help us. They were wonderful and free, but accept donations. It was a very painful hassle to go through...at times we were ready to give up, but now I'm glad we did.

It took my husband over three years of struggling to finally be approved for service connected disability due to Parkinson's Disease. The good part of it all was that the reimbursement was retroactive to his application date.

1 2 3 4