How does one handle getting woken up several times a night by husband urinating?

Practically every night I check his pull up before getting him in bed...he's wet so I change him in bathroom & get him cleaned up. Within less than 2 minutes after getting all situated in bed he whispers Babe...I answer and he says I need to go pee. I go back to him & repeat. Then 5-15 minutes later he tells me again. He's wet again! This happens up to 7 times a night. I'm not getting enough sleep. I'm advised to sleep when he sleeps but this isn't always possible due to other obligations. I thought of diapers but those are such a hassle and besides that when he needs to pee or is wet he automatically wants or does get out of the bed. Oh his nurse says don't give him anything to drink after 6 pm...it still happens. Suggestions?

28

Answers

1 2 3
I thing I would use dyper and talk to the doctor let him have sleeping pill and Ask the doctor what do I do with a overactive bladder..Im.sure theres medacation to help him..sleep..and the doctor could help with that problem over active bladder..
Reply to Charlia

He feels the urges and that's relatively good, insomuch that he can feel it and he's not completely numb. There are bedside urinal containers for men readily available online for ordering, or at your local medical supply store, or family doc may have some for you. They sometimes have them at drug stores, too.

Why not give him those and he can "go" in there at night when he's in bed, and all he has to do is sit up and get things in the right place, he can urinate, then lie right back down. He can do it as often as he needs to. In the morning, he can take the containers to the bathroom and flush.

My dad did something like this throughout his ordeal with urinary incontinence. He was ultimately FIXED through having two different laser surgeries where the docs went in and made a better opening in his pipes around the prostate area. If your hubs doesn't have a urologist, I'd suggest making an appointment and getting some tests done. It could very well be he doesn't have to live like this, and can get some help for his frequent urges.
Reply to AliBoBali
Jessie7410 Aug 20, 2018
Yes this would work if he didn't have Alzheimer's. Thanks. But since last week these episode's has stopped and he sleeps thru the night. He's soaked by 9 am so this makes things much easier for now. Alzheimer's sucks
(2)
What about condom catheters? check them out as that is what paramedics use - use only at night to get sleep for both of you - he must be pretty tired too & that can lead to other issues
Reply to moecam
Jessie7410 Aug 20, 2018
Tried it and within less than 2 hours he pulled it off 😕
(0)
It sounds to me like you need to sleep - to be there [functional and not burn out] during the days for your husband. I'd suggest getting a care provider in-house for overnight care and you sleep elsewhere (even on a sofa is that if all you have). Even 5-6 hours of straight sleep will help you immensely to function and not wear you out day-after-day. I realize this may be a financial burden and a huge change in your lifestyle. (Try finding a nursing student at a college.) Think about yourself and the long term. This situation is likely not going to get better. You certainly need a washable bed protector, along with disposal ones on top of that. Make sure he has a safety rail on the bed in case he gets out of bed on his own (sleepy) to avoid him falling (doesn't have to be a hosp bed). You likely need to make some major changes in his care to take care of both of you - doesn't mean it is easy. Means you need to insure you are as whole and healthy as you can be for your own quality of life, while taking loving care of him, too. Gena.
Reply to TouchMatters

Lockett. I appreciate your response but no way in hell would I put him in a facility. I know how the patients are taken care of and I will not just throw him away like that. He wouldn't last very long without me.
Reply to Jessie7410

FriendlyBedGuy. YES I was doing research online and found what you are talking about and I believe this is the answer. I will be contacting his Dr Monday morning about this. Thanks so much and am feeling blessed that I found this page!! ❤❤
Reply to Jessie7410

This can be related to "nocturia" which is the urge to urinate many times a night. I typically run into it with my calls from folks with Parkinsons (60% of them have it). Often the wife (usually) is getting up close to 10 times a night to help their spouse get in/out of bed (or reposition in bed) and are ready to crash. Every person needs the quality sleep that comes from REM stage sleep- and if a person is getting woke up often they never get to that "deep sleep". Helping a person get up (or changing Depends or handling a urinal) all disrupts the sleep cycle. A urinal spill or changing the bedding adds a lot more work. Often people will put a bedside commode next to a SuperPole or balance pole of a Friendly Bed. If a person can use the equipment to safely/independently stand/pivot onto commode, do their business, and pivot back into bed why would a spouse need to wake up? Plus if a person never has to let go of a sturdy pole how can they fall? Walks to the bathroom (when sleepy, weak, medicated, and in the dark) is very dangerous- especially if many times a night. I don't know if this suggestion applies in your case as it needs a person to be mentally cognizant of their surroundings- not a fit if a person is in deep dementia/alz. Lots of good suggestions were offered but sometimes assistive products can be the missing piece of the puzzle for safely and quality of life (and sleep). Always happy to offer suggestions.
Reply to FriendlyBedGuy

I am not sure I know the answer but I do know this. You MUST GET YOUR SLEEP AND YOU CANNOT CONTINUE TO KEEP GETTING UP or something is going to happen to YOU. I don't know his mental state but for a start, you can FIRMLY tell him he MUST wear diapers and get the kind that he won't feel the wetness. They are out there. Another idea, money permitting, is to get someone to care for him during the night hours. As to getting out of bed if you can't solve it any other way, please look into renting a hospital bed with bars so he can't get out and fall or have some accident. Finally, if nothing works, it may be time to place him. Sad but true. You are only human and you have YOUR life to live now.
Reply to Lockett2166

There are many possible solutions:
#1 The liquid consumption could be cut back to an earlier time.
#2 Urinal
#3 Bedside commode
#4 Medication for frequent urination
#5 His Alzheimer's is, of course, now controlling his brain.
Reply to Llamalover47

AVVO makes a supplement that help with frequent urination and there is also a supplement for men called Better Man.
Reply to LivingSouth

1 2 3