I take care of my Mom. How do I get financial assistance?


My Mom has COPD and is disabled.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Here's the standard answer.

Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to keep a full-time job so that you can add to your own retirement.

If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver from an Agency to come in to help a couple hours a day. Check to see if your State has “Cash and Counseling” program. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs. Some have waiting lists.

Also, check with your local Council on Aging to see what programs they offer, such as an Aide coming to the house.https://www.agingcare.com/local/Area-Agency-on-Aging.

Here is one thing to think about if one is trying to decide whether to quit work to care for an aging parent.... on average if a working person quits work he/she will lose over the years between $285,000 and $325,000 which includes loss of salary, plus net worth loss of the health insurance, loss of money being put into social security/ Medicare, loss of other benefits such as matching 401(k), profit sharing, etc. [source: Reuters 5/30/12]

Good luck!
Helpful Answer (0)

She would be the one to pay you. Or perhaps, if there are other children, they can help. Keep in mind, if you have quit a job, you are going to need benefits and health insurance. It is very costly to pay a full time aid. Good luck. Your question is asked here on a daily basis.
Helpful Answer (1)

You don't. Go up to Money and Legal and click on Paying for Care.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.